Greg Brown's music and chords/tabs

issaquahbob

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:15 am

Nice one Cori! :) :) Liked your babbling, it's been a while since I literally heard that! :P

Just heard a few lines of the original, sounds like travispicking to me, keep those alternating bassnotes going, whatever you do! ;)

Will listen to it some more later, see ya! :) :)

lueders wrote:

issaquahbob

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:35 am

A few pointers on Telling Stories:

Drop D-tuning.
Alternating bassnotes
capo 5th fret
More chords than just D G and A. I also hear a Bm and even a Gm (changing from G to Gm).

I'd say, get the chordprogression down first before trying to incorporate all those embellishments. Well, that's what I'd do! ;)

That's it for now, gotta go! :)

Ness

issaquahbob

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:19 am

If anyone is interested there are a couple great mini-concerts of Greg performing on what is called Tent Show Radio. Here is the link to the most recent one - http://tentshowradio.com/?post_type=portfolio&p=521 - but if you sign up (free) there is also an earlier show as well. Both are very high sound quality and stripped down acoustic versions of many songs from Greg's last two cd's plus a few older ones too. Worth a listen. Wish he'd have done Telling Stories...!

daryl

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:45 am

nesh16041972 wrote:

Drop D-tuning.
Alternating bassnotes
capo 5th fret
More chords than just D G and A. I also hear a Bm and even a Gm (changing from G to Gm).

I'd say, get the chordprogression down first before trying to incorporate all those embellishments. Well, that's what I'd do! ;)

Ness
Ness, I'd like your expert opinion please. As we all know my ear ain't so good, but I swear I hear this song capo'd at the 3rd fret in standard tuning playing E's and A's and B7's (and an A at the 5th fret x07655 and an A with a B on top at the 5th fret x07657). The little lick with the E chord is hammering on the 2nd fret from the open B string and grabbing the F# on the high E string. Can your ears tell if Greg is playing a 1st position E chord (capo'd on the 3rd fret) or a 1st position D chord (capo'd on the 5th fret in dropped-D tuning)?

unclewalt

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 pm

I think you're right! but can't say I áctually hear it.......I assumed it was in D since that was said, E makes more sense though...

Actually I hear a lót.......but what exactly?! Gosh...... :S .....however you're right about the melodynotes.

Lets assume the song is in E, so the second chord, a B7, I absolutely hear an F# on the fourth string. Tell me if you can hear it too!

(and let's talk about all this relative to the capo, E, capo III fret. :) )

daryl wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Drop D-tuning.
Alternating bassnotes
capo 5th fret

Ness
Ness, I'd like your expert opinion please. As we all know my ear ain't so good, but I swear I hear this song capo'd at the 3rd fret in standard tuning playing E's and A's and B7's (and an A at the 5th fret x07655 and an A with a B on top at the 5th fret x07657). The little lick with the E chord is hammering on the 2nd fret from the open B string and grabbing the F# on the high E string. Can your ears tell if Greg is playing a 1st position E chord (capo'd on the 3rd fret) or a 1st position D chord (capo'd on the 5th fret in dropped-D tuning)?

daryl

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes, now that you mention it I can hear the F# on the 4th string. To my ears I think he's alternating between the low E and the E on the 4th string (for the E chord) and for the B7 he's alternating between the B on the 5th string and the F# on the 4th string.

jim56

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 am

One more thing, i could hear it, but wasn't sure, now i am! (After listening to a slow down track from Daryl), that first B7, the E remains in the bass. Can you hear it Daryl?

daryl

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:54 am

Yes, I can just hear the E bass in the B7 (B F# E F# Travis picking), it's quite subtle. But I don't hear the B in the E chord (only E e E e - 6th string to 4th string).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic