Hello

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been a TG member for nine months now, but I never introduced myself before this because first I tend to be someone that watches more than gets involved and second I find forum posts very confusing. I absolutely love the site and I have learned so much. But what has prompted me to post is because I was so impressed with Vanessa's lesson. I know I have seen some of her videos and I know that she and others have been doing such interesting things that I thought I might get even more out of TG if I got a little more involved with the community. So greetings from NJ!

Jean

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello Jean

Great to hear from you.
What have you been learning in the last nine months?

Vanessa's lesson is great.
I haven't spent much time on it as I'm trying to keep focused on what I'm working on but will be sure to
to return to it soon.

Jean Wrote:
.........but I never introduced myself before this because first I tend to be someone that watches more than gets involved

and second I find forum posts very confusing !
Interesting comment Jean.
What do you find confusing about the forum ?

TheresHopeYet

:)

daryl

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 pm

So how long have you been playing guitar and what sort of music do you like?

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I find the Forum confusing because there are so many threads. I like so much of what Neil puts up its like being a kid in a candy shop. I picked up the guitar last August for the first time in thirty-five years (it's a long story), but I didn't know much beyond open chords. I've put away a few things to give them a rest, but am still working on Alice's Restaurant. Vanessa plays it so much better (sigh), but I'm trying my hand at Stormy Monday which isn't going too badly and that Stray Cat Stray that a couldn't fathom a few months ago is coming along. I want to try all sorts of things. Any advice is welcome.

michelew

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:33 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hello everyone!

I have been a TG member for nine months now, but I never introduced myself before this because first I tend to be someone that watches more than gets involved and second I find forum posts very confusing. I absolutely love the site and I have learned so much. But what has prompted me to post is because I was so impressed with Vanessa's lesson. I know I have seen some of her videos and I know that she and others have been doing such interesting things that I thought I might get even more out of TG if I got a little more involved with the community. So greetings from NJ!

Jean
Jean,

Firstly a big hello from Sydney where it's sunny but chilly (for us anyway :) ).

I whole-heartedly agree with you about Vanessa's lesson. She has put so much thought into it and delivers it a way that makes it easy to understand and do. I love her eye for detail. That includes advice on which fingers to use for both hands, to ensure that she gives us the most efficient way to play it and the best chance to get this song up to speed. I also love the way she's captured the inversions used on the piano, while making it suitable to play on the guitar. Well I could easily get into a rave here about what a great teacher she is. Bottom line - Neil has made a great choice of teacher. She's definitely someone who is fully capable of delivering lessons to his high standards; and has. Isn't it a great lesson and a great song?!

Well I hope we see you uploading it when you have it under you fingers to a level you're comfortable with. Don't be afraid to post an 'in progress' video. You can post at any time, including when you've progressed to the point you can and need assistance.

Personally, I've found that the more I participate in the forum, the more fun I have and the more I progress. That includes posting videos and respond to questions, ideas and challenges on the forum. I've taken some crazy side adventures that I never expected to. Learning the ukulele and the bass are just two examples. It's all helped my learning and helped to keep me motivated. Actually Vanessa inspired me to learn the bass too. (Crazy! :) )

So jump on in. The water's fine. There's a lot of fun to be had. Just join in.

Hey the 3/4 chord song thread is a great place to start if you'd like to post a video but you don't think you have anything ready that you'd like reviewed just yet.

See you around.

Michele

TGNesh

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:48 am

Gosh.....that post surely made my morning start smiling!! :) :) :) A huge thank you!!

But more importantly, welcome to the forum!!

When I got here at first (after two/three months of being a member) I was confused too. And someone said indeed, just jump into whatever catches your eye or interest.

In any way, I've always loved to participate in the forums and to basically just 'share'. Also uploading videos has been so rewarding, getting feedback from Neil (and others) is so valuable, but it also gives you a reasonl to get something down. So like Shel said, feel free to do so as well. The response is ALWAYS supportive and helpful.

I surely hope that this place will add a lot to your guitarjourney. And by all means, if you have any questions regarding songs, theory, just fire away, that's where this place is for.

Welcome again and thanks so much for your kind comment regarding my first lesson! :cheer:

Ness

(btw Alice's Restaurant, gosh.....I really had to work on that one, not so easy to get down.... :S)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Jean, and a warm (and clean) welcome to you in NJ. I'm sure the forum can seem confusing... until you dive in and take part and then the fog lifts... or you can make some fog of your own! The folks who know each other do swap the odd comment or two which may seem mysterious at times. This is the only forum I have ever taken part in (even before FB) and its certainly been worth it!
Chris in Swiss

willem

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Welcome from the waiting for some warm and sunny weather the Netherlands I just let you know my welcome and don't want to confuse you..
I ones met Vanessa and that was great..

Willem

fjeanmur

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I want to thank everyone for their warm 'hellos.' And I suppose that I will look at the forum more now that everyone assures me that it's not so scary. Also, Michele's suggestion about the '3/4 thread' seems interesting as well. Well, I guess I'm set. Maybe you'll hear from me soon.

Jean

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:49 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their warm 'hellos.' And I suppose that I will look at the forum more now that everyone assures me that it's not so scary. Also, Michele's suggestion about the '3/4 thread' seems interesting as well. Well, I guess I'm set. Maybe you'll hear from me soon.

Jean
Jean:

Similar to Chris (above), this is the only forum I have ever really participated in. Never was comfortable enough. The people here have always been pleasant and supportive. Welcome aboard.... :)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic