Hi from Thailand

jimmybcool

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi,

Currently in Thailand with loads of time to kill in the afternoons after golf. In Arizona when not here.
Would love to take the songs I already "know" and take them to a more professional sounding level.

Looks like a cool place and loads of the kind of music I love in the lesson list. But before I leap into the pay per section I would like to see at least one complete song to
get an idea of how they are structured and what is included. Is there a list of songs that you have full lessons and not samples? Even one or two would be enough to give me an idea.
And they don't have to be songs I am interested in learning just a sample to clarify how you work.

Thanks a lot.

plantman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:35 pm

jbc,
get to the home page, on the left you can select "free lessons" wait through the 25 second lesson intro and Neil rolls into the complete lesson on those selections. Scroll down and print the accompanying tab or chart. Take a look, I think you find a wealth of information in a unique style that I find great to learn from. Hope you'll explore and consider joining.

michelew

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Hey JimmyBC,

A big HI from Sydney.

Most of Neil's and Vanessa's lessons have a lot of parts; generally 5 or 6 or more. They can include:
- an overview and interesting stuff generally about the artist(s) and song;
- left hand; the chord progression and most efficient finger placement and order, muting or killing some notes;
- right hand; strumming, picking patterns and other stuff you need to do, like muting;
- putting it together, often by section (sometimes there's more than one of these; for example in Vanessa's lesson of 'Someone Like You' she goes through the Intro and verses, the Pre-chorus, the Chorus, the Bridge and the Outro as five different parts (there's 8 parts all up) because she describes in detail how to most efficiently finger all the the different inversions so you can move smoothly from one chord to the next and eventually get it up to speed);
- tricky bits that need more attention;
- outro and other thoughts about how to change things to make it easier, harder and more interesting;
- play through; sometimes a bit slower than normal for you to play against;
- the tab/music and guitar pro files.

They both spend a lot of time going into the details you need to know to get the song down. They often tell you which bits to concentrate on if there are some important/tricky sections that the rest of the song build on. For example in "More Than Words", the timing, percussive strumming and finger brushing in the first four bars are really important for the rest of the song, so Neil recommends getting to the point where you can play this section over and over with no issues before progressing into the rest of the song. That approach worked really well for me.

Your best value for money in my humble opinion is the TARGET program. That way you can delve into as many lessons as you like, including the theory side of things like the Acoustic Genius Series, without having to worry whether you've chosen a song that you have the capacity to get down in a reasonable amount of time. If it's too hard you can choose another one and go back to the previous song over time as your skills improve. If your first choice is too easy, same you can pick one that's more challenging. You can also just join TARGET for a month...... I presume that's still on offer. And then you can explore until your heart's content or...until you family complains that they never see you and wonder whether you've been sucked into a TG time vortex. Beware....it's a REAL phenomena. My guess is that if you do sign up for a period, you'll be glad you did and you'll sign up for more.

Enjoy and happy playing.

Michele

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Jimmy and welcome from the Netherlands!

Personally I'd say join Target for a month, it's maybe like $5 more than a single lesson and you'd indeed have acces to éverything.......trust me, it's a candystore! ;)

However, I'm not sure which song in the free lessons-section will show you what you're asking for. I indeed signed up 2½ years ago because of the reason mentioned above. I never regretted it ever since.

Welcome again and have fun playing the guitar!

cheers

Vanessa

willem

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 am

jimmybcool wrote:
Hi,

Currently in Thailand with loads of time to kill in the afternoons after golf. In Arizona when not here.
Would love to take the songs I already "know" and take them to a more professional sounding level.

Looks like a cool place and loads of the kind of music I love in the lesson list. But before I leap into the pay per section I would like to see at least one complete song to
get an idea of how they are structured and what is included. Is there a list of songs that you have full lessons and not samples? Even one or two would be enough to give me an idea.
And they don't have to be songs I am interested in learning just a sample to clarify how you work.

Thanks a lot.

Hi welcome from the Nethelands as well,,

Maybe it is a great Idea for the owners of TG to have one detailed give away lesson for new members what show's you exactly what goin on in the targetprogram,,of course you could sign up for a month but I am sure when you do that you will skip the golf,, :laugh: B)

I am here from the beginning and never regretted it Just like Vanessa and many others,,

Cheers

Willem

jimmybcool

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't see a complete free lesson but I think I'm getting the idea. Today I am free to try out some of the free area and decide if
I'm going to sign on for more detail.

Jim

skaladar

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:08 am

jimmybcool wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't see a complete free lesson but I think I'm getting the idea. Today I am free to try out some of the free area and decide if
I'm going to sign on for more detail.

Jim
Hi Jim ... and welcome to TG. *waves from NYC"

You should be able to see all the lessons (free and pay) by mousing over the “Guitar Lessons” navigation tab at the top and clicking “All Lessons” however it is currently not arranged by song, rather it is arranged by band. Just find a band/artist that interests you and click that to see the lessons available. Choose one and you can see how the lesson “Parts” are structured (preview, theory, left hand, right hand, verse, chorus, play along etc) as Michele described. Of course you won’t be able to access the individual Parts but it will give you an idea.

You might want to do what I did and simply buy the “Pay per Lessons Access” for a song that I was really interested in. After watching what was probably 45 minutes of detailed explanation, in 8 or 9 parts, for a 3 minute song I couldn't find the link to join the Target program fast enough. I have never regretted it. In addition to full access to ALL the lessons there are many other benefits to becoming a Target member such as the ability to upload videos for review with Neil, a special forum area and so much more.

Whatever you decide you've come to THE right place to improve your playing. I hope to see you around!

♫ Ken ♫

jim56

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:44 am

Hi Jim, or should I say Sawasdee kup!

All the previous posts are great input to your question.

There is a YouTube channel called TG Acoustic Lessons you might want to check out.

Welcome to TG and let us know if we can offer you any further assistance.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic