Happy days.

villageac

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 am

I'm very pleased to be here. I've had a guitar for nearly 10 years and keep starting and stopping and started again about 6 weeks ago after finding a good teacher. I want to learn some songs, so here I am, and there's a great range here.

I can already play Horizons, or I thought I could (with a few bits that I always struggle with) and since I've played every day since I picked it up again (sometimes for hours at a time), I've been pleased this piece in particular has got better (it was the piece that made me want to play in the first place). I decided last night after signing up to watch Neil's lesson and discovered my fingering was all wrong in the places I'm struggling with. When I say wrong, I mean Neil's version made it look so much easier, and indeed it was. I've improved again after just 15 mins looking at this one. Now I have to train my brain to change how I play this one!

I've never learnt any songs, as I can't see how to play one thing and sing something else at the same time, but my teacher's helping with that (practice more first I think is the crux of it), and my first target is Homeward Bound.

There are so many to choose from, and yet I've already made a suggestion, only because I would love to be able to play a Jake Thackray song, any really.

Jeremy

sbutler

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 am

Well Jeremy,you won't regret this. There are so many lessons now, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Just remember, Neil's lessons are about techniques. Yeah you'll learn how play songs, but you'll learn how to play that guitar too.
So stay focused, have fun, and keep in touch.

Scott

Oh yeah, welcome aboard :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am

Welcome Jeremy, may the TG Force be with you!

dennisg

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:49 am

Greetings from Seattle, Jeremy. Have a great time here.

auntlynnie

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am

Jeremy,
Welcome from Virginia.
This is a great website - good people, great teachers, lots of good support from the TG community.
Enjoy,
Lynn

TGNesh

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Jeremy and welcome to TG!

Love your goal, 'Homeward Bound' :) (my favorite S&G-song) , good luck and have fun!

Vanessa

willem

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi from the Netherlands,,

Willem

dekotaj

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Good luck sir.

ENJOY!! And if you want to, Throw up a video of you playing. We do enjoying watching folks here working on great songs.

Kev

haoli25

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Welcome to TG, Jeremy. It is good to have you with us. If you have any questions, just ask.

Bill

TGNesh

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm already (after two short sessions) playing Horizons better than I've ever played it, according to my best critic (my wife - long time Genesis fan, listening in the other room) so that alone has been worth my first month's fee.

I've picked Homeward Bound as a surprise for my wife (long story), and I've got until October to get it right but I can only practice when she's out or gone to bed but I love the way Neil has introduced it because I can play just the bass bits and without a capo or me singing I bet she wouldn't know even if she heard it :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic