Hello... a struggle to get here but I am in

quackyduck

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 am

This will be a 2nd attempt to get a post in.

I wrote out an full introduction only to have it stall out and disappear.

I am now just going to cut to the chase.

Hello Quacky Duck here.

Process of joining is flawed. Filled out a form that did not ask for user name and password info so I confirmed an email link only to discover I did not have access to anything once here. Tried to "join" suspecting it must be a two-step process, but received a message stating the email address belonged to an existing account. I never had a chance to set up a name and password so what good was that step for? I ended up having to use another email address to get an account which had all of the information needed to access things here.

It seems like the "free" material is scattered all over buried in with pay material. So far the two things I have done here have lead to problems (joining and posting in the forum). The jury is still deliberating though.

:huh:

EDIT: I went back and looked through the email confirmation and saw that that was just a membership confirmation link of the first email account. It just says Step 2. For all I could tell that was it, a two-step process leading to a partial membership. Looking at it thoroughly there is a list of things that come with a free membership. After that at the bottom is a line stating I should look for another email with password and user name info. I cannot be the only person who is not interested in reading redundant information. That line should be up top where I would have seen it. I already had read about the free material and skipped reading it again in the email so I did not notice what the line under that information said.

Then I looked in the 2nd email account that I had to use to get in. The same email said "1 of 2" instead of "Step 2." In the meantime I received a user name and password automatically generated by TotallyGuitars in the first email account. None of this was explained in advance anywhere obvious to see if it exists at all so I would know what to expect. Ultimately I joined using two separate paths so that might explain the difference in the emails to the two accounts but they really should not be different and the need to confirm a membership before having a user name and password is a waste of time and confusing. Oh well I am in.

dtaylor

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

Yeah the process is a little bit ’82...

They're working on the architecture to make things easier to find, in the meantime just enjoy what there is free for you to use and try a couple of paid lessons. You won't regret it, in fact you'll be hooked.

By the way, welcome from London.

Dean

willem

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:20 am

Ones you are in you don't come out.. :laugh: ,,man that was proces...

There is a list of all the free lessons in an other thread,,I will edit my post with it when I found it,,

Hi and welcome from the Netherlands..

Willem

EDIT:::............................................................................Man I found it very quick,,here it is..

Allman Brothers Ramblin' Man Free Guitar Lesson
America A Horse With No Name Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles With A Little Help From My Friends Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles Birthday Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles I've Just Seen A Face Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles Let It Be Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles Octopus's Garden Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles Help Free Guitar Lesson
Beatles A Hard Day's Night Free Guitar Lesson
Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine Free Guitar Lesson
Bob Dylan Lay Lady Lay Free Guitar Lesson
Bob Dylan Blowin' In The Wind Free Guitar Lesson
Buffalo Springfield For What It's Worth Free Guitar Lesson
Clash Should I Stay Or Should I Go Free Guitar Lesson
Counting Crows Mr. Jones Free Guitar Lesson
Creedence Clearwater Revival Down On The Corner Free Guitar Lesson
Creedence Clearwater Revival Lodi Free Guitar Lesson
Death Cab For Cutie I Will Follow You Into The Dark Free Guitar Lesson
Deep Purple Smoke On The Water Free Guitar Lesson
Doobie Brothers Black Water Free Guitar Lesson
Doobie Brothers China Grove Free Guitar Lesson
Doors Love Me Two Times Free Guitar Lesson
Eagles Peaceful Easy Feeling Free Guitar Lesson
Eagles Tequila Sunrise Free Guitar Lesson
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Lucky Man Free Guitar Lesson
Eric Clapton Bell Bottom Blues Free Guitar Lesson
Focus Hocus Pocus (Opening Riff) Free Guitar Lesson
Graham Nash Military Madness Free Guitar Lesson
Grateful Dead Friend Of The Devil Free Guitar Lesson
Green Day Boulevard Of Broken Dreams Free Guitar Lesson
Green Day Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) Free Guitar Lesson
Guess Who American Woman Free Guitar Lesson
Holiday Sing Alongs Silver Bells Free Guitar Lesson
Hunters and Collectors Throw Your Arms Around Me Free Guitar Lesson
Indigo Girls Closer To Fine Free Guitar Lesson
Jack Johnson A Pirate Looks At 40 Free Guitar Lesson
James Taylor Sweet Baby James Free Guitar Lesson
Jim Croce Time In A Bottle Free Guitar Lesson
Jim Croce I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song Free Guitar Lesson
Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville Free Guitar Lesson
John Denver Take Me Home, Country Roads Free Guitar Lesson
Kinks Waterloo Sunset Free Guitar Lesson
Lynyrd Skynyrd Free Bird Free Guitar Lesson
Men At Work Overkill Free Guitar Lesson
Neil Young Helpless Free Guitar Lesson
Neil Young Ohio Free Guitar Lesson
Neil Young Rockin' In The Free World Free Guitar Lesson
Neil Young Southern Man Free Guitar Lesson
Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit Free Guitar Lesson
Paul Simon Kodachrome Free Guitar Lesson
Peter, Paul & Mary Puff The Magic Dragon Free Guitar Lesson
Plain White T's Hey There Delilah Free Guitar Lesson
Police Message In A Bottle Free Guitar Lesson
Police Roxanne Free Guitar Lesson
Raffi Baby Beluga Free Guitar Lesson
Rev. Gary Davis Cocaine Blues Free Guitar Lesson
Simon and Garfunkel 59th Street Bridge Song Free Guitar Lesson
Simon and Garfunkel Mrs. Robinson Free Guitar Lesson
Simon and Garfunkel Scarborough Fair Free Guitar Lesson
Traffic Feelin' Alright Free Guitar Lesson
Turtles Happy Together Free Guitar Lesson
Zac Brown Band Chicken Fried Free Campfire Guitar lesson
Zombies She's Not There Free Guitar Lesson

Last Edit: 2013/07/30 10:25 By TGNeil.Report to moderator

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Oh well I am in.
Look upon it as a rite of passage Duck, in the early days there were initiation rites and plank-walking to be endured before you could join the TG Pirates. Now you are on board, enjoy the ride and stay in touch on the forum! As we say here, you can check out but you can never leave!

Chris in Swiss

quackyduck

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks Folks,

I mentioned in my first post that the free lessons are scattered around but I did not notice that there is a link at the top of the column on the left side of the website that says "Free Lessons." I think I activated a drop down menu in the bar across the top and started at Guitar Lessons which put a menu in front of that area before I noticed it and the rest is history.

I'll be spending some time discovering what is here.

Thanks again.

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Welcome to TG Quackyduck. wow what an ordeal to join up, can't say I had that issue when I joined...Mind you I sent in my application with Pony Express (In house joke between Neverfoundthetime and I, just getting in first!)

As has already been said once you try out the free lessons try a paid one. The actual programme of TG is quite likely the best on the net at present and the lessons generally have a heap more detail so if you end up as a TG'er you won't regret it. I also understand the site is going through a bit of maintenance at present and might be the cause of your troubles getting here; anyway should you experience any further difficulty send in a Support ticket and let the Admin team help out, I've always had great and quick results with that,

cheers

Chas A Scot from New Zealand

TGNesh

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:55 am

Hi QD and welcome from the Netherlands!

Good to hear you got in eventually. Just wanna wish you well and lots of fun here at TG!

cheers

Vanessa

(actually, would like to hear some more about your original introduction! :) )

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 am

Bill got it right when he pointed out that Chas was found floating around in cyberspace waiting for TG to be built around him so he had no entry issues at all! Re-entry coming back to Earth maybe another problem altogether!

Chasplaya wrote:
Welcome to TG Quackyduck. wow what an ordeal to join up, can't say I had that issue when I joined...Mind you I sent in my application with Pony Express (In house joke between Neverfoundthetime and I, just getting in first!)

As has already been said once you try out the free lessons try a paid one. The actual programme of TG is quite likely the best on the net at present and the lessons generally have a heap more detail so if you end up as a TG'er you won't regret it. I also understand the site is going through a bit of maintenance at present and might be the cause of your troubles getting here; anyway should you experience any further difficulty send in a Support ticket and let the Admin team help out, I've always had great and quick results with that,

cheers

Chas A Scot from New Zealand

fjeanmur

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 am

Welcome to TG!

Yeah, I've had a reply or two disappear on me as well. It may be an iPad thing because of a lack of a flash player although I'm not sure. I know the "Quick Reply" button has not been reliable, but the "Reply" and "Reply Topic" work. Don't trust the "Preview" however. That's when everything will go "poof"! In those cases, sometimes it's better to write the post in another application and then copy and paste into the Forum.

I hope the jury won't be out for too long. I am celebrating one year of being with TG, first completing the whole beginner's thing and then as a Target member. I'm never leaving! It started out for my daughter who declared that she wanted to play guitar and as she got bored, I took over the guitar and the site and started brushing up on some very uneven skills that hadn't been tested in over 30 years. I've learned so much and also discovered that the Forum is a fun place.

My bottom line assessment: the free stuff is good and the Target Lite idea could be a good way to get a taste of the site. But it's when you have full access to everything, that's when you really start to learn. Even if you just watch the new lessons as they are posted (because you can't do every one), there is always something that you process, always something that you mentally file which will be there when you finally need it.

Explore and have fun. In my opinion, it's really the best site out there. B)

Jean

benfield113

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am

Hi Quackyduck,

Welcome to TG - it's a great place to learn.

Enjoy

Andy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic