Guitar Pro files with lessons

Toddbradshaw16595

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Just joined the target membership. It looks like the majority of lessons come with Guitar Pro files. Is it worth spending $60 on Guitar Pro to better learn a song? Just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks in advance! Great website.

michelew

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Firstly Todd, welcome to the forum and a big hi from Sydney. I obviously didn't catch your first post.

Guitar pro isn't essential for learning, but it is a very useful tool. I find it especially good when I'm having trouble getting the timing of a complex passage right. The program allows you to hear exactly what's written in Neil or Vanessa's sheet music at a very slow speed, to loop passages and a whole bunch of stuff that I don't use. I really only use a small portion of it's functionality. I don't use it for writing music for example. It's great to play against to check that you have passages working properly too.

If you have an iPad! you can pick up a cut down version of the app for significant less. I'm not sure how much I paid but it must be less than $15. I use that version almost exclusively now. It has all the functions I need.

Lynne looked at getting the iPad version recently. You may like to get a second opinion from her.

Good luck.

Michele

tombo1230

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Toddbradshaw16595 wrote:
Just joined the target membership. It looks like the majority of lessons come with Guitar Pro files. Is it worth spending $60 on Guitar Pro to better learn a song? Just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks in advance! Great website.

Hi Todd,
in a word yes. You can obtain free software if you like that will play your tabs, but it doesn't have the sound engine that this software has. I find it particularly good for fingerpicking tabs, as you instantly feel and hear the rhythm. If you are capoeing the tune you can adjust the software to play it capoed and in the same key as you are playing it in
You can also slow your tabs down and slowly increase the speed of them, in my mind this is essential and good practice for learning at any level.

If you can afford it, it will be a usefull tool and will enhance your learning ability. :) I use it all the time.

Hope this helps.

Tom N.

TGNesh

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:11 am

Oh yes, absolutely worth it! :)

And welcome from the Netherlands! (I think I've welcomed you before though :dry: )

Vanessa

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:22 am

You can also Tuxguitar (free from the web) to view the GP5 files, as I do.

Lavallee

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Todd, welcome from Canada. I have been using guitar pro for many years. It is really helpful to slow down a section that you have problem with and you can loop that section (the same section plays over and over and you can play along (good idea to have Head phones when you do that to avoid a riot from the rest of the house :) ). You also have access to thousands of other Guitar Pro files on the web that you use. Mind you, the files are not made equal and some are good and some are bad, but it does not cost anything to search.

Have fun

Marc

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:53 pm

HI Todd and welcome. If you need an insight into Guitar Pro check out the free tutorials on this site here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... groupid=91

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic