Natural Progression

michawl

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 pm

I have just completed the Acoustic Genius Series and would like to get some ideas of what I should do next. I haven't been playing guitar very long, but I have mastered scales, pentatonic patterns, and many chord progressions. What would be your recommendations for where I should go from here? Are there other packages out there that would benefit me? Appreciate any and all responses.

michelew

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 am

michawl wrote:
I have just completed the Acoustic Genius Series and would like to get some ideas of what I should do next. I haven't been playing guitar very long, but I have mastered scales, pentatonic patterns, and many chord progressions. What would be your recommendations for where I should go from here? Are there other packages out there that would benefit me? Appreciate any and all responses.
WOW I wish I could say I'd mastered scales, pentatonic patterns and chord progressions. Half your luck.

The Acoustic Genius Series is a fantastic resource and something most people probably need to keep revisiting (note to self, it's been way too long). But, you should absolutely be learning songs too if you're not already. Neil and Vanessa teach via songs primarily. Every song lesson has got a wealth of information on techniques, music theory, how to play in a more interesting way, interesting information generally and... Well much more than I can do justice to.

My advice to you is to choose a couple of songs you would really like to learn and work on those until you've got each one down to the point where you can play it. You'll probably need to work on other things while you're doing that, but there's nothing like learning songs and just having fun to really cement the things you've heard in the AGS.

If you're fairly new, pick songs in the 1-3 difficulty bracket.

So I suggest you pick a few songs from the library and work on those. The hardest thing will probably be deciding which ones.

Good luck. Enjoy the journey and be sure to post something soon. It's a great way to watch yourself progress.

Michele.

willem

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:40 am

michawl wrote:

Hi Micha? welcome

I am a person that is very hungry to know things a bout the guitar and I have been through that series also(ones I think) so I know(and forgot a lot,grey memory) but there are Always things you remember,,and practice is a huge thing you must do..tapping your feet or with the metronome and slow Always slow or even slower.

I am here from the beginning and was a beginner(still 'm),, a big mistake I am into is that I am very distracked by all the song lessons but every lesson as a playing skill in them,,the best way is a few songs,lets say 3..songs that you want to learn and stick with it,,so when i would start all over I would go for ''per lesson''.

I think as a guitarist you want to master some playing skills,,strumming,,fingerpickin,focus strumming,,lead playing..etc

Beatles songs have a lot in them..lets say ''blackbird''-''and I love her''

Blackbird the way Neil teaches is for getting your thumb moving and in shape for other songs..and its a nice song..

And I love her,,well strumming is here the case,,but also pickout some riff and instrumental(lead) notes,,this song have some bar-chords in them but not so difficult,,and there is a second guitar involved(fingerpickin).

If you are a fan,,have a look at Neil Young songs,, I believe Neil(our teacher) teaches them with a lot of focus/strumming..

Well I don't want to distrack you..hope you get from others some ideas,,

Willem

michawl

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks Michele. I have learned some songs as well, however I am more of a finger picker. I learned classical guitar (finger picking) at an early age, but now that I am 20 years older, and haven't played in those 20 years, I have picked up the acoustic guitar to try to learn again. The finger picking comes natural for me, but strumming and using a pick are more difficult. That is why I need suggestions for how to proceed best in those areas. I apologize if I didn't make myself clear in my first post. Anyhow I will continue to purchase some of neil's lesson, but thought someone might have a suggestion for something where maybe Neil focuses on using the pick. Thanks again for your tips.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic