Hello

haoli25

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi Tiffany. Another good, inexpensive purchase you might consider is a metronome. Neil and Nessa's lessons will instruct you on how to use it. It will help you develop your timing as you are learning to play. :)

Bill

TGNesh

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Tiffiny!

Lucky you, seen them four times (well the fourth time is coming up), wow! Yes, as you say, Nancy usually plays a DN when she plays an acoustic guitar. I figure because of the volume and bass it produces. Personally I like a medium size as well, which you can see in all my lessons.

As for how to remember the strings, as a teacher, in my experience, learning the names of the strings by using some sort of sentence, makes a student always depend on that sentence, without really remembering the names individually. So I wouldn't go for that. Four strings are easy to remember, the bottom and top string have the same name, E. The first two letters of the alphabet are easy to remember too, A en B, which are the fifth and second string. Try to get that in your head first, adding the D and G then will be a piece of cake! ;)

Just my two cents. :)

trcorbett170950 wrote:
Hi Vanessa,
Please call me Tiffiny or Tiff. I will be seeing them for the 4th time in October. I saw them when Brigade came out. They were shooting a video that night. I did not see them again until the Red Velvet Car tour. I saw them last year in St. Louis with the Jason Bonham Experience.I can honestly say they have been better each time I have seen them. They are pretty no frills. It is all about the music, not the effects. Do you happen to know what acoustic guitar Nancy plays? I mean more in terms of size? Never mind I believes she plays a DN. That is okay. I don't have to play exactly what she does. After Tom kindly posted a video really showing the differences, when the time comes I am thinking I would like a medium size one. Of course if I get to wear I am ready to move on to electric, It will have to be a Gibson. Why you ask? Because, my electric hero Angus Young plays them. :)

michelew

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey Tiff it's great to hear what you're up to. It looks like the guys have described how the tuner works. Hopefully you'll be able to get the tuning spot on now and your ear will be happy. :) don't worry about the iPhone app. It sounds like your tuner is just fine.

Hey Nessa. I've never looked at the strings the way you suggest, but you're right, that is a good way to break the strings down into groupings that are easier to remember. It's always good to hear teachers explain what they've seen work during their years of experience and what the traps are. I just learned the order of the string names starting from the sixth string, and of course that the first is the same as the sixth. But having another way to look at it is helpful. Thanks Teach. :kiss:

Shel

suziko

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Thank you. I learned that earlier today. I posted that picture on FB so I could load it here and a musician friend, told me the needle needed to be in the center. So, now it sounds much. much better. :laugh:

dekotaj

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 am

Thank to you both. Someone pointed this out on FB and now it sound much better. He had to tell me which way to turn the knobs? Is that what they are called? But, all the strings show green and the line is center. :)

michelew

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 am

trcorbett170950 wrote:
Thank you. I learned that earlier today. I posted that picture on FB so I could load it here and a musician friend, told me the needle needed to be in the center. So, now it sounds much. much better. :laugh:
Yeh!!! :laugh: problem 1 - E string sounds sucky - FIXED! Yeh!

Tiff you're on your way to making sweet sounding music. Or rockin', wicked cool music. :)

thedancer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Wiley,
Yes, that is a bit confusing. But, I am sure after awhile I will understand it. Right now I will just play each string and say the note out loud. Now I am trying to do it from the 1st string up. Where abouts are you from in Texas? I have lived in a few places there.

Tiffiny

thedancer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks Bill. I had an old one a million years ago, just because I liked the sound of it. Weird huh? Don't have it anymore, so I will be adding that to my list.

Tiffiny

thedancer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 am

Hi Vanessa. Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. I think when the time comes I am going to want a mid-size steel string. Martin and Gibson are out, due to cost. But, I am starting a wish list on Guitar Center. I will of course have to research the brand and such, but I found one I like, and it seemed to have good reviews. But, I looked at another site and it said the guitars weren't good. It was a Luna, they said you were better off getting a Yamaha. Not, going to worry about it too much, until I learn to play this one.

wiley

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic