"Is the microphone on?"

jayswett

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm logged in, but I've had two posts disappear when I tried to preview them. What's up with that?
If this one goes through, then I'll make a proper introduction.

tgjameela

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi declark0453921691,

Welcome to Totally Guitars!

Sorry for the technical error, unfortunately our "Preview" feature on the forum is down and posts tend to vanish into limbo never to be found again. My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Once a post is submitted, if you don't like the way it appears or want to change something on it after it's been published you can use the "Edit" button on the bottom right hand corner of the post.

Hope that helps, if you need any assistance with anything please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks and once again welcome! :)

Jameela

michelew

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Oh, hi, Jameela. Thanks for another fast reply with assistance. (You got me past a sign-up problem awhile back.) B)

Anyway, I recently signed up for the Target program, and have been looking at many lessons. "So many songs, so little time."

I've been playing off-and-on (mostly off) since the mid-1970's, and am starting to get back into it. I've been looking around for other folks my age* who have similar skills and musical tastes, to maybe get together and jam occasionally.
A local school district's Adult & Community Education program will be offering something called "Acoustic Jam Sessions" in October, and I'm signed up for it. I haven't played in front of people in years (thinking of Steven Stills' "scared spitless" comment at Woodstock), but it could be fun.

*I know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings because I was around when that was happening. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. ;)

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:45 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:
*I know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings because I was around when that was happening. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you will fit right in with most of the folks around here.... Another member here signed up for some classes like you mentioned, and he spoke pretty well of them. I have always been told that the fastest way to improve is to play with others. Good luck, and welcome aboard, from Ventura, CA.

Jason

daryl

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Clark (should we call you that or something else?)

Where about do you live? And yes, that other band that Paul was in was pretty good. ;-)

michelew

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi, Jason and Daryl. Thanks for the welcomes. (Good tagline, Daryl; another song that's on my "to-learn list." I love both solos from the Dylan 30th Anniversary performance of "My Back Pages," especially Neil's. I'd be quite happy to be able to play the McGuinn version some day.)

Forgot to mention where I live. (It was in my original subject line, but then I ended up changing everything.) I'm on the Midcoast of Maine. I've been here 20+ years, a "transplant" from Massachusetts.

Yeah, I know it was some of the songs from Sir Paul's "other band" that got me wanting to be a guitarist. Strat twang in "Nowhere Man," anyone? B)

Almost forgot: name is Doug. Thanks for the memory joggers on how to post an intro. ;)

willem

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:

*I know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings because I was around when that was happening. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. ;)[/quote

Yeah yeah,, great band but I was more rolling stone,,, also screaming girls,, the stones still give concerts but the girls are silent.

B) :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Welcome Doug! Just flew over mid-coast Maine (looked beautiful out the window) on Sunday night on my way back home (Switzerland) from Canada and I was just playing Dan Fogelberg's homage to that area, The Reach, a minute ago. So, nice timing!

Many of us here grew up with that band Paul was in playing on the radio so your in home country alright. Hope you have a blast here and bet you can't keep your fingers out of the cookie jar!

The microphone is ON!

Chris

buddy

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi, Chris. Hi, Willem.
I think some Stones stuff got me hankering to be a guitarist, too. I was quite pleased to find Neil's lesson on "The Last Time." I hope some day he'll publish an addendum to "Not Fade Away," for getting closer to the Stones' version. Gotta have harmonica in there, too.
BTW, some years ago I read an article in one of the guitar magazines where they asked a number of players how they got into playing. George Thorogood said that when he was a kid, he played "The Last Time" over and over, and his father never made any disparaging remarks about "I hope that'll be the last time you play that" or anything. Years later, when George opened for the Rolling Stones (American Tour 1981, I think it was), his dad went backstage with him. Dad wasn't terribly impressed by the fact that his son was at that point in his career, but George thought it was cool to have him there with him.

"The Beatles got the white hat, what was left - the black hat." Keith Richards B)

daryl

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Where in Massachusetts? I've lived in Andover, Bradford, North Andover, Newton, and Rockport. I'm currently in Andover, Vermont.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic