Video Segment Ideas

Larry

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi folks...

I'm the guy behind the camera on a lot of videos that are here...IGC, Keith Holland, Jack Van Breen...and more

A little about me (since this is my FIRST post

I used to be in Hi-Tech Silicon Valley marketing. Worked for Sun Microsystems, Amdahl, SAP, etc.

Then I retired...

One day, at my lesson with Neil in 2010, he said "hey, do want to shoot some video"

So I bought a camera and a tripod, started shooting. Then I went to Film School at De Anza Community College to learn more :laugh:

That brings me up to today

I'll be at IGC again this year.

I have a swell new camera and tripod and I'm both (1) looking for ideas on segments and (2) want to try
some ideas out on you

Equipment Gear reviews

I can do a segment on two popular digital audio recorders -- Zoom and Tascam

For any electric guys out there, how about a segment on effects pedals

Builders

I can do some more electric builders

Recording

how to get started recording and using Avids Pro Tools

So turn on those thinking caps and let me
know what you'd like to see

Larry

daryl

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi Larry,

Nice retirement gig you've got!

I'm not going to IGC but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here anyway. ProTools is a very powerful/professional DAW. But it is also very unintuitive and expensive. In addition to showing what a highend professional setup can do, you might consider showing what some free and/or inexpensive DAWs can do too (like Audacity on the free side, and Reaper for an inexpensive alternative). Reaper can do some minor video editing as well.

Larry

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Good idea

I know a little Audacity -- maybe we could start a self-help group!

I don't know about the other editing program so I'll look it up.

Yep, Pro Tools is really unintuitive. I used it a little in school but don't at all
like it.

But it is the standard

I know a guy who is a wiz -- that's why I suggested the segment

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Larry:

Glad to hear you will be back this year. I hope you are ready for a cold beer. TG is very lucky to have you around. All of our video is quite wonderful, and the out-takes when you actually get in FRONT of the camera are always good for a laugh. Love your sense of humor. Looking forward to anything you would be willing to cover and help us out on.

Jason

P.S. I have a copy of Presonus Studio One - Artist Software. I had won it at a show at a local store when I went to see Doyle Dykes. I then bought the starter kit that came with the actual input box, microphone and the software. I have been meaning to see if the software works with any box, or if it is box specific. If they will work with any box, I have this extra copy that someone could have if they want it.... :unsure:

Jason

BobR

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Larry,

It will be nice to meet you this year and get some recording tips. I have been using a program Mixcraft 6 for PC which seems to work well. It is just my performance that's not too good :laugh:
See you soon
Bob

Larry

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm not sure if it works anywhere but I'd be interested in trying it

Thanks

Larry

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Larry wrote:
I'm not sure if it works anywhere but I'd be interested in trying it

Thanks

Larry
I'll Make myself a note to bring it with me. It can't hurt to try...

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic