Hello Totally Guitars

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Welcome to TG , Lee from Sunny Masterton in New Zealand.

I haven't got it, but discipline would work wonders as for turning the corner this song immediately came to mind:

fjeanmur

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Lee and welcome!

Glad you found TG. As all of us will tell you, and you already seem to know, it's just the best guitar site there is.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. You may want to look up Peter Tork of the Monkees who also is a survivor of a very rare form of tongue cancer. You might look to him for inspiration.

Anyway, how to practice and turn that corner. I would just say, find a practice routine and go for what interests you. I've been with the site for two years, plus what I feel is the equivalent of one year from many years ago, and that puts me about where you are. I tend to "bite off more than I can chew," but that has its benefits because by trying to play some things above your level very quickly it makes things on your level so much easier. Also because I can't sing, I gravitate toward a lot of instrumental pieces which even at easier "levels" are more difficult than a lot of other songs and this helps me develop skills faster.

I just keep moving, but many (most) times I hang with a piece for several months, making small gains little by little. Then I put things away and after a while I come back to them. Recently, I came back to several of the things that I tried when I first came to the site and said "Wow cool!" I discovered I could play them so much better and so I am working on them now from a different perspective and they're sounding so much better.

So welcome and good luck to you. I hope you find your "voice" here on the Forum.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic