Ask Keith Holland questions for Luthier's Corner

Larry

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:41 am

Hey folks

I'm going to video Keith this morning

any questions you have for Keith on your guitar, equipment and other stuff?

wiley

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:08 pm

If it's not too late....

#1 - Tuners, aka machine heads, those twisty things on the headstock that tightens/loosens the tension on the strings.
On an Acoustic - which are best? Greater the ratio greater the ability to 'fine' tune right? How about ease of changing....are the upgrades to say Waverly really serve a purpose when the vintage guitar came with say, Grover rotomatics? How about Gotoh - the 510 series, they look almost like the old rotomatics yet, come with up to 21:1 ratio? So, on a vintage - upgrade or OEM? On a different level, say a Seagull S6 - is it worth upgrading (say, $130us) for a better tuner? How about 'locking' tuners or even, 'gearless'?

#2 - The ups and downs of not only 'ramping' an acoustic bridge, but 'slotting' it? I know several opinions say do it, it's worth it, yet even most upper level luthiers don't do so, saying it's more of a 'fad' (Slotting that is - most now are ramped).

pbraun

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:06 am

Larry/Keith,
I recently purchased a 1968 Gibson J-45. Overall it is in great shape and it plays very well. The finish has some lacquer checking but not a lot of signs of wear. When I picked it up I oiled the fret board and cleaned it up and put new strings on it. I am also trying to keep it humidified using a sound hole humidifier in it's case (also original). To my ear it seems that the more I play it,the better it sounds, is that possible in a vintage guitar-like the wood is "waking up"?
Now the main couple of questions. Is there anything else I should consider having done to a 46 year old guitar? And now the big one... this guitar has the adjustable bridge on it, it is made of wood. I've read where some have had it changed out to a standard bridge with bone saddle. Is that some that would make a big difference. The nut is bone and like I said it does sound great as it is, just wondering if it would make a difference and if it would be worth it.
By the way it had the original receipt with it, it was originally purchased in Decatur Ill, I bought it out of Manhattan NY and now it is Georgia who knows where else its been, and the original sale price was $356.00!!
Thanks,
Pete

michelew

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm

This might be way too detailed.

But It would be great to know How to do your own setup for an acoustic guitar.

And when to leave it to the experts. - or signs that you should.

Ta

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic