Lefty Re-tread

alan_va

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:53 pm

I am left handed. About three years ago, I picked up a guitar for the first time, took lessons for a few months (right-hand style), and then began a PhD program that eats up all the time I don't spend at work. I've promised myself a new guitar (and lessons) when I graduate in about 6 months. In addition to the question of left v. right-handed instruments, I found that my dreadnought and over-large gut just seemed too hard to get around - like I needed an additional elbow in my right arm.

So - two serious questions:

1. What smaller guitars can anyone recommend that can be purchased for less than $400?
2. For lefties only - Since I plan on getting into finger-picking style play, would my 63 year old fingers find chords or picking to be better served by my left hand? [my fingers span 9.5 inches from tip for thumb to tip of little finger]

Thank you for your help.

Alan

jimcjimc

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:08 pm

The Taylor GS-mini is a good choice if you could add another $100 to your budget.
Not qualified to answer #2 - this lefty has no opinion.

willem

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi, there are enough little body guitars that will sound great,I do not call out brands you just have to try them or listen to the sound while a other plays it,,

I have much trouble with stretching some wide grips, so I tuned down a whole step and put the capo on it for the concert tuning which make the wide grips easy'r.(and keep the 12 frets to the body, I think you lose only some over tones)

Goodluck,, you can do it

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Alan:

Jim's GS Mini recommendation is a good one. There are also other models that are more comfortable than the dreads. Best bet is to head to the local store. Sit and play as many models as you can. See what feels the best. Make sure to check out the beginners stuff here too. Get your posture and hand positioning figured out while your are trying the guitars out for size.

As far as being a lefty, I am one and I play left handed. Most people will tell you to learn to play right handed. If you can do that, it can make life a bit easier. At least as far as finding guitars, and trying them out. I tried to learn right handed, but found that keeping a strumming or picking rhythm with my right hand was just not going to happen for me. My rhythm is much more true with my left hand. Using the right hand to make the chords is not a big deal, as I have always used my computer mouse with my right hand as well, so I have built up some dexterity there. You are best suited to do what "feels" the most relaxed and comfortable to you. At least that is my take. One argument you will gt is that you will be a better player because your left hand is stronger or more dominant and you will have an advantage in your fingering hand. That kind of falls apart though.... If that was the case, all right handers should learn to play left handed... :P I believe there are certainly some marked advantages to learning right handed, but it is just not for everyone. Again, what is more comfortable to you. I will just warn you that "test driving" guitars becomes a whole lot harder if you choose the left side. Worth considering, if the right works for you.

Good luck with graduation and the beginning of your guitar journey.! B)

Jason

alan_va

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:20 pm

I appreciate the kind responses. They have been very helpful. I, too, mouse with my right hand, and can picture myself shifting between chords with that hand [left mouse, right mouse, scroll wheel - translate as needed..... ;-) ] The idea of the Taylor GS mini gives me a size range to think about.

Best to all,

Alan

Music Junkie wrote:
Alan:

Jim's GS Mini recommendation is a good one. There are also other models that are more comfortable than the dreads. Best bet is to head to the local store. Sit and play as many models as you can. See what feels the best. Make sure to check out the beginners stuff here too. Get your posture and hand positioning figured out while your are trying the guitars out for size.

As far as being a lefty, I am one and I play left handed. Most people will tell you to learn to play right handed. If you can do that, it can make life a bit easier. At least as far as finding guitars, and trying them out. I tried to learn right handed, but found that keeping a strumming or picking rhythm with my right hand was just not going to happen for me. My rhythm is much more true with my left hand. Using the right hand to make the chords is not a big deal, as I have always used my computer mouse with my right hand as well, so I have built up some dexterity there. You are best suited to do what "feels" the most relaxed and comfortable to you. At least that is my take. One argument you will gt is that you will be a better player because your left hand is stronger or more dominant and you will have an advantage in your fingering hand. That kind of falls apart though.... If that was the case, all right handers should learn to play left handed... :P I believe there are certainly some marked advantages to learning right handed, but it is just not for everyone. Again, what is more comfortable to you. I will just warn you that "test driving" guitars becomes a whole lot harder if you choose the left side. Worth considering, if the right works for you.

Good luck with graduation and the beginning of your guitar journey.! B)

Jason

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Welcome to TG Alan,

Being a 'normal' right handed player I can't offer advice on lefty playing (ooo wait for it I can see other members hovering over keyboards to tell me off lol) Seriously, what has been said about trying out guitars till you find the fit for you is easily the best advice. And for what its worth I once tried out a friends lefty guitar and was so confused it wasn't funny! Or rather it was for my lefty mate lol! If you browse this site you will find heaps of advice about guitar purchasing; solid wood versus laminates (ugh) different types of wood, brand preferences, body styles and so on and so on... way too much to choose from. So go have fun and pester the music shops and try every guitar you possibly can. Just don't play Stairway to heaven repeatedly lol!

All the best with study and your guitar journey

Chas

fjeanmur

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi Alan!

A PhD program at 63. You are ambitious and my hat is off to you!

I can't comment on left-handed playing, but as for guitars, the Canadian brand Seagull puts out some nice instruments at a reasonable price. The S6 that I "inherited" is a little large for my taste, but it's what I have. It sells for something like $425. However, the Mini Jumbo goes for about $375 and might be what you're looking for in size and price. They sound beautiful and play very nicely. My guitar is just perfect for my level of playing, if just a bit big.

Good luck to you and welcome to TG.

Jean

sandysue

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Alan

I'm a lefty but I play guitar right handed. I think my guitar teacher encouraged me to play right handed when I was first learning. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, it's just personal preference, whatever feels most comfortable for you. In the long run you will adapt and play just fine either way.

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic