Hello

meyerld0166124

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi I just joined up and went for the target program right away. I mostly play acoustic and consider myself to be an intermediate although there are those days that might be a stretch. The program is vast and confusing for a beginner to the site and I was wondering if there is any tutorial for how to get the most out of it. Also, I noticed that many of the songs offer the option of downloading onto Guitar Pro. I have no idea what this is and is it useful? Thanks very much,

Larry

michelew

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Larry and a big welcome to the forum from Sydney. You've made a great choice. You'll find the hardest thing is working out what you want to learn first ... Or which 10 or 20 songs to start with. You get the picture.

There's no tutorial video that I'm aware of, but that's a great idea for new people actually.

There are a few different types of lessons:
- most teach specific songs - the difficulty is graded - beginner is 1-3, interrmediate 4-6 and so on, though I've personally found that the grading doesn't always match the ease or difficulty I have learning it. So if you see a 7 or higher you really want to learn just go for it. Neil and Vanessa break each lesson down so well that most songs are really accessible.

- there's also series for certain types of playing or genres like fingerpicking or blues - these tend to build in difficulty.

- there's ear training

- there's the acoustic genius series, which is a music theory for guitarists course, it's a must. Though don't try to do it all at once, you'll just end up with a sore head unless you've alreay got a good grasp of music theory.

- there are also technique videos.

The last four types of lesson are mostly accessible via the menu running horizontally near the top of the page called 'Tip, techniques, theory and styles'.

There's also a search window at the top of the left menu if you're looking for a specific artist, song, style, etc.

The songs are catergaried by artist. There are menus at the left of the main page to get you into the many lessons and there are also student reviews and a bunch of other stuff. There's a request a lesson tab too.

I suggest just looking through the menus and don't forget to come back to the forum and check out discussions too. That's also where you'll find notices of new releases.

Someone with more graphics skills might drop by later a circle some important parts of the menus for you. But just look around and I'm sure you'll find heaps to get you interested and get you playing.

GuitarPro is EXCELLENT. I absolute recommend it. I have the iPad version and a Mac version, but I now use it on my iPad exclusively. It's great for slowing the music down so you can play, read and listen at the same time. It's great for slowing sections down and looping them so you can hear them and play them over and over to get something down. It's very cool.

Good luck. Have fun and feel free to post a video of your playing any time. We love seeing what people are playing.

Cheers

Michele

fjeanmur

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi Larry and welcome!

Yes, the site is vast, we would all agree. There is no such tutorial that I am aware of. You just need time to explore and sooner or later you will find your niche. Watch the lessons that interest you, check out interesting Forum posts, watch a few Fly in the Wall lessons and little by little you will figure out what really interests you.

Guitar Pro is great. It is an app that I was able to purchase for my iPad very inexpensively that allows me to use the music that Neil or Vanessa provide and play it--or slow it up--with a metronome to be able to understand exactly how it works. I think many of us would highly recommend it.

So explore and enjoy the site. There is more here than most of us could ever attempt in two lifetimes. Your instincts told you that this was the best site available! Let us know how things are coming along.

Jean

BobR

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Larry,
I'll just welcome you and echo what Michele and Jean said. There is so much here you can't go wrong. BTW I use Guitar pro on my iPad and my PC. It works great.

Bob

TGNesh

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 am

Welcome to TG Larry! Like you I immediately joined Target as well when I found the site. And yes, I had to find my way around too. Like mentioned, it just takes a little time.

I see you've already got several pointers, hope it was helpful. And yes, GuitarPro is an awesome and very useful too. It's basically an editor for writing down music, in both standard notation and tablature. Both Neil and I use it all the time. If you only need it to just listen to the track, or slow them down and such, you'll only need the app, which was I think around 6,99. If you really want to write out and edit music yourself, then it's $59.95. I'd absolutely recommend it. (I don't necessarily mean the editor).

Hope you'll enjoy the site as much as I always have and have fun on your guitar journey!

cheers from the Netherlands,

Vanessa

willem

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:57 am

Welcome, yes this is the best site there is a bout guitar playing (damn instrument), you allready have have great tips from the others to start explore this site and I echo echo echo that,,

I have both GPro's the app and the computer program, I recommend both,writing or transcribe songs is a great learning proces too..

One usefull tip would be,, if you are on a song/lesson page and scroll down you find at the right the favorite button, you can add the lesson to your favorite one,, handy when the list is growing and you don't want to search the whole lybrary,, or you forgot which you worked on.

Succes

Willem ( from Holland-Zwolle)

meyerld0166124

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Thank you so much everyone for the great tips. I am really looking forward to using the site.

Larry

meyerld0166124

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:17 pm

Thank you this was extremely helpful and I appreciate the time you took to do this,

Larry

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Larry and welcome to the El Dorado of guitar lessons! Smartest move and best money I ever spent was joining TARGET. Its been 5 years no and it just gets better. I'd suggest just going for any song that takes your fancy and get into it.

Chris in Switzerland.

Lavallee

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:32 am

Hi Larry, welcome from Canada, don't expect any free time with all there is to learn on the site. Make yourself a favor and get Guitar Pro, it will be your best friend to learn tricky parts.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic