Hello - New Member from Dallas

gtconnect

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Hello TG. I recently signed up for a few pay per lessons, and I'm interested in getting plugged into the TG community.

I just bought myself a 50th birthday present, which is a 2015 Taylor 614ce (maple). Absolutely love it. I've historically been a Martin guy - and I still love Martins, but they don't make a cutaway version in the higher end series. But Taylor does! So, I had to make the switch.

I like to play fingerpicking style , and I can't sing worth a lick. I also have a great love for Hawaiian slack key style. It's mellow, but takes you right to the Hawaiian islands and puts you instantly on vacation (in your mind, anyway).

I use the ProPick split wrap fingerpicks from Guptil Music. They give great volume and control, and I don't have to grow my fingernails.

Anyone heard of Ewan Dobson? He is my most recent influence. Fantastic guitarist and composer, and his transcriptions of traditionals and bluegrass are also great.

Anyway, looking forward to being part of the gang at TC!

Greg Theisen
Frisco, TX

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Welcome Greg! Sounds like you will be right at home here. Looking forward to seeing and hearing that birthday present of yours (smart move) some time on the forum if you get to post a video of yourself playing (check out the busking threads).

Chris in Swiss

auntlynnie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Greg and Welcome from Northern Virginia/DC!

That's a really nice birthday present! Taylors seem to be very popular with fingerstyle guitarists. (I have a 314CE and a GS Mini).

You will certainly fit right into the TG community with your musical preferences. The folks here are both supportive and encouraging. So c'mon in and make yourself at home.

Cheers,
Lynn

Lavallee

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Greg welcome from Canada, you can`t go wrong with that present of yours. I got to try those ProPick thingies, seems like fun.

Welcome aboard

Marc

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Greg:

Welcome to the TG community, from Ventura, CA. We have several members from Texas. :)

I own a couple of Taylors myself, an 814ce and a Baby Taylor. Love them both. One of our members played some great slack key at the IGC recently, and I loved it! I'll also have to check out Ewan Dobson. I am always keen on finding new and interesting artists.

I hope you dive in head first, because there are lots of great people, and there is always plenty to learn here.

Cheers!

michelew

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Greg,

A big hello from Sydney.

I'm looking forward to hearing those fingerpicks in action on that beatiful guitar.

Don't be shy. Jump right in.

See you around.

Michele

TGNesh

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 am

Hi Greg and welcome from the Netherlands!

Just wanna say hi and hope you'll find everything you're looking for here at TG. I'm sure the Target Program will keep you busy enough. Edit: I'm sorry, I see you're not a Target member just yet. Well if you're ready for it at one point, then just jump right in. You won't be sorry :)

Have fun and see you around,

Vanessa

gtconnect

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:25 pm

BTW, Ewan Dobson is from Canada. He has won the Canadian Guitar Competition at least once.

wiley

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:31 pm

crieniecat

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 am

Hi Greg,

Welcome at TG! Looking forward to your first post, don't be shy ;-)

Cheers from The Netherlands,
Corina.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic