Progress so far

johnny_peel69

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Hey everyone, just thought I'd post a quick message to say that since I became a full member about a month ago pretty much every free moment I have in the day I'm logging into TG and fiddling around with something new and the results are pretty good!

So far I've vastly improved previously dodgy versions of Hurricane (Dylan) and We Can Work It Out, have learned from scratch People Are Strange, Ticket To Ride, and Neil Young's Tell Me Why, and tonight I just started Needle & The Damage Done.

Aside from the clearly presented lessons, I enjoy the song histories a lot too.

Thanks guys, very happy :)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 am

Sounds great Johnny! I can't imagine what it must be like meeting TG as a fully grown site with all the candy in the window and filling the shelves of the store shouting out at you! :laugh: Having grown up with it since near it's birth and being a part of it's teen years, its been a gradual soaking up and bathing in all it offers for me. Quiet a ride! Enjoy and maybe post a video of yourself playing something some time.
Chris

johnny_peel69

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi Chris, yes someday I just might...any videos of you on here? How do most people film by the way, just with their phones or what? Thats probably a pretty dumb question...tin hat on...

michelew

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:02 pm

A big hello from sunny Sydney Johnny! It's great to hear about your progress and the fun you're having.

TG Certainly has an enormous amount of learning materials. I reckon it would take you couple a of lifetimes to learn all of the songs in the library. And Neil and Vanessa absolutely give us everything we need to learn the songs and then there's all of the interesting extra stuff.

I second Chris' suggestion that you post a video if you're up for it. That will open up a whole new world for you.

You can use the camera in your computer too if it has one.

See you around.

Michele

johnny_peel69

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi Michele, thanks for the reply. Do you have any videos up?

michelew

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:05 am

Hi Johnny,

Chris and I have both been at TG for a while and we've both uploaded quite a few videos. Lots of members do. Actually Chris has got one on the front page of the forum right now.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... s-ale.html

Videos are a really important and fun part of this site. There are three main places you can find student videos; the student review area, busking and collaborations. I've included links to them below. You'll have a ball watching them. And you've absolutely got to check out some of the videos uploaded for review and Neil's and Vanessa's responses (last link in particular). They alone make this site head and shoulders above any other learning site on the web.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... th-tg.html

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/129 ... tions.html

http://www.totallyguitars.com/guitar-student-reviews

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/141 ... views.html

Have fun!

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:27 pm

There are no dumb questions Johnny. Those of us who have been posting have gone through a whole process of metamorphism since our first videos. First attempts were often without heads as people were unsure about it being "safe" to show themselves. You also learn a lot about recording and filming along the way and there is just as much improvement there as in guitar playing. I now use a Sony wide angle HD handycam or my phone to film and record the sound often separately and dub it onto the video. For example, Listen to the Pouring Rain was recorded with a guitar track, followed by a lead vocal followed by harmonies followed by filming the video playing to the mixed sound track. Its a lot of fun and after you have done a few it can be done quite quickly.... although the first few will take some time as there is much to learn. Hope that all makes sense.

willem

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Johnny,,Tips, technigues, theory & styles, are great places to visit so now and then ( and over again), so many guitar secrets..

have fun..

Willem

sws626

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Hey Johnny,

Welcome! Glad you are making progress. I still remember how excited I was when I first discovered this site. After playing around more or less aimlessly for many years, I finally focused, learned a thing or two and built a repertoire of songs I could play with confidence. This is such a great resource and, as others have sad, so much richer than it was when it was first getting off the ground a few years ago.

On your video questions, I think there is a section on the forum devoted to student reviews, but you can also find a lot of stuff if you search the forum for "busking." In the old days (five or six years ago), I used to go to a lot of effort to set up a video camera, position mics, run everything into a DAW, reposition the mics, fiddle with filters, equalizers and what not, then wrestle with synching the audio file to the video. These days, I would just shoot straight into the webcam, maybe using a halfway decent mic or direct from your guitar if you have the means to do that, but otherwise favoring spontaneity over production values. The main thing is just to jump in.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic