What path to take after Beginner Blueprint

69yanks31667

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 am

Hi:

I'm a 59 yr. old newbie. I played some violin and mandolin but really wanted to play music I like (Moody Blues, America 60's-70's) and found this site. I tried another one for a short while but Neil's teaching is so good. So I am getting close to finishing the Beginner Blueprint and I said to myself, now what? I see there is a Acoustic Genius package. Do I purchase that one and then build on that by doing the Target program and select songs I want to learn? (Moody Blues come first).

Thanks for this site and your input.

Regards,

Brian

TGNeil

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the message and welcome to TG. I think the best plan after the Blueprint is to join the Target Program. It gives access to everything we have here, over 1000 songs of various levels, as well as a huge library of theory and technique lessons. Then, as far as where to start, I would suggest the Strumming Simplified set along with some of the level 1-3 lessons, Lucky Man, Nights In White Satin, Knocking On Heaven;s Door, then maybe onto fingerpicking and anywhere else you like.

Maybe some of the TG Community will weigh in with some of their thoughts and experiences.

Neil

fjeanmur

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Brian--

Welcome to TG! Many of us were attracted to this site because of the artists/music you mentioned. There's so much to choose from.

I remember when I did the Beginner's Blueprint to brush up. After that, I purchased a one month subscription to TG (Is a one month still offered?) just to explore what there was. I was so hooked, I never left. Neil is right. You will find lots of great things to work on at a beginner level and then plenty more if you want to challenge yourself a little. At the beginning, I bit off plenty more than I could chew, but then after a year or two or three, I've surprised myself by going back to some of those things and not finding them as difficult or confusing as before.

I hope you decide to take the plunge and take advantage of the superb teaching and the supportive community you'll find here. Good luck!

Jean

dottmcse85630

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Brian, you'll be doing yourself a favor by joining the TARGET program, I did. I have been a member of the Target for almost a year now, been playing for just over two years. I struggled with books, CD's and other YouTube vids, just didn't make good progress. Sure I learned but would hit a plateau and stay there for a LONG while.
I bit the bullet and invested in myself, really when you look at the $ spent for membership and what you get out of it, not to mention the friendships you can develop. It is a terrific value.
Anyhow my progress since joining is so much better, sure I still struggle but I do enjoy the journey so much more now.

By the way Neil and Vanessa post new lessons often, they are devious that way. So many lessons to learn they just compel us to play/practice more each day.

Heading to International Guitar Camp in a couple of weeks, my first time and from what I have heard it is a great experience.
Best of luck Brian and welcome.

Dennis

michelew

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Brian,

I highly recommend that you join the target program, even if you just join for a couple of months to really check it out. The best way to progress is to learn songs you really want to play. You can buy them individually of course, but if you join Target you can try a number of lessons and then decide which ones work for you best at any point in time. There's also other companion lessons like theory, ear training, fly on the walls and access to student reviews. It's all important and invaluable. The Acoustic genius series is great. But don't try to do it all at once. You'll just hurt your brain. You'll need to watch a few bits, apply them and think about them and probably rewatch them too. You definitely need to be checking out the song lessons, which also have theory, etc. in them.

So try some of the level 1-3 songs that take your fancy as Neil suggests and just have fun. Get involved in the forum too. It's a great way to keep motivated and get support.

Enjoy!

Michele

69yanks31667

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks so much everybody! I already feel a part of the community. I will join the Target Program next week.

sws626

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:42 am

Whether you join the program or not, I would strongly recommend that as a next step you work on learning some songs you love. This is a great resource for that approach to learning. Not only because of the vast library of lessons, but also because of the opportunity to get incredibly constructive feedback once you are ready to share. I suspect that as you work on learning songs you will discover skills you need to build -- for me this was in the area of rhythm and strumming, but I'm sure it is different for everyone. The point is that there is no greater motivator for learning new skills and techniques than the desire to apply them to making something beautiful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic