Brian in Norway

potreaux50472

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:37 am

Hi! I'm Brian, I live in Norway but come from the USA originally.

I've been signed up to the Target program for about 2 years now. I've gone through all the Acoustic Genius videos on theory and technique and have been learning a bunch of songs in the target program (Jethro Tull and Rev. Gary Davis have been my favorite categories).

I am 41 years old at the moment. I got my first guitar when I was 6 and took lessons for a few years. I never felt like I improved so I put it down. Then picked it up again in my late teens/early 20's with more lessons, but put it down for another 15 years; I just never seemed to get it to "click" despite loving music and the guitar. Through all that time I could never play a full song, talk or sing while playing, make smooth chord changes, and had no idea how to play a lead even if I "knew" scales.

My most recent period of guitar playing started about 3 years ago when I signed my son up for classical guitar lessons. Sadly, he didn't take to the guitar, so I finished his lessons for him (they were pre-paid after all). After that, I found TG.

Over the past 2 years, I've learned more than 30-40 songs start to finish, can sing them when I play (that doesn't mean the singing sounds good :P ), I have composed about 5 of my own "songs" (no lyrics), and even am starting to play reasonably interesting solos! My most sincere thanks to Neil & Co. for the great lessons. The theory break-downs are great and the left hand/right hand videos are a fantastic teaching tool! I am having so much fun with the guitar now! I can even jam along with songs I've never heard before when the radio is on! I never thought that possible! :woohoo:

I just noticed the Student Review feature, so now I hope to get some feedback on my progress. Is it all in my head, or have I improved? I hope to find out. :S

All the best,

Brian

auntlynnie

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:10 am

Hello Brian!

Glad you spoke up. Welcome from Washington, DC!

Sounds like you've made a lot of progress in the last couple of years. Working your way through 30-40 songs is just fantastic. I hope you will post some videos for review (or just for fun). You'll find a lot of support from the community and from Neil, too. There's also quite a bit of songwriting going on around here, so again, I hope you share yours.

I've played for a long time and I still cannot play and talk at the same time - don't know if I'll ever be able to do that.

Cheers,
Lynn

TGNesh

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:15 am

Hi Brian and welcome to TG!

Great introduction and very nice to 'meet' you. I'm thrilled to hear you get so much out of the site and are having fun playing the guitar. It'd be awesome if you could post/upload some videos. The TG-community really stands for positive and constructive feedback.

All the best to you and continue to enjoy your musical journey.

Vanessa (from The Netherlands)

michelew

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Brian,

A big hello for Sydney.mit sounds like you've found the right place for feeding your guitar-heart and soul. Neil and Vanessa have so much good stuff on the site, but then you know that already.

Definitely take advantage of the student review feature. It's really unique and getting advice on something you're working on from our gurus is AWESOME. It's just incredible wha they can see and hear from a video alone. Jump right in.

See you around.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic