Grüß aus Spinland!

spinland

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Howdy, fellow guitar heads!

So, I guess this is where I get to make it all about me, no? Okay....

I'm a retired USAF officer turned 3D digital artist. I own and operate a small (like, I wear all the hats) CGI and VFX studio in Central New York. This past year I realized that in the trials and tribulations of keeping my enterprise afloat and food on the table I've been burning myself out; I needed something for a release.

I grew up as a vocalist, first in church choirs, then in choral groups, and finally in a few bands. Many years ago I got myself a nice acoustic guitar (which i still have) and started learning "campfire" style music to accompany singing for fun. Somewhere along the way I lost touch with that and I decided music was just what the doctor ordered to keep me out of the asylum (or worse).

I resumed messing around with my acoustic, then picked up some MIDI instruments and began playing big time with arranging and recording lots of fun instrument sounds, as well as vocals. Fun! This past Christmas Santa brought me a shiny new PRS semi hollow electric and I can't bring myself to put it down.

I want to learn to PLAY ALL THE THINGS, and RIGHT NOW, and so I found this place and realized it was the perfect spot to learn fun songs from people who really know how to break it down for guys like me. I'm working on "Your Song" (which I sang to my bride at our wedding, only next time it won't be her brother playing the main guitar parts) and "Try to Love Again" which is one of my favorite Eagles tunes. That's just the beginning! B)

Looking forward to long, fun-filled evening practicing to the videos here!

Mark "Spinny" Dyson
Spinland Studios, LLC

fjeanmur

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Welcome from New Jersey!

It sounds like you've discovered what we all have: Here at TG you can be like a kid in a candy shop. There's so much, it's hard to decide where to begin.

Good luck and keep in touch to let everyone know how things are going for you.

michelew

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Mark,

Hi from Sydney. WOW! That's some intro and quite a list of interesting things you've already achieved and you're still doing. I SO understand those desires to play everything and NOW. Well you've definitely come to the right place to get a hand with your goals. The toughest thing about being at TG is finding the time you need to take advantage of everything.

Have fun and I hope that we see more from you in the future.

Michele

wrsomers

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:22 am

Hi Mark,
Welcome from Connecticut. Very impressive CV you have. I'm sure we all look forward to your contributions to TG. It is a very fun and supportive community. I'm sure there are a few of us here that are going to be picking your brain about recording and studio work. Enjoy TG and Happy New Year!

Bill

spinland

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! So very much looking forward to making this place a big part of my creative life. :side:

TGNesh

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Welcome to TG Mark and many thanks for your elaborate introduction! It's always nice to hear about folks' backgrounds and such.

I sure hope you'll enjoy the site as much as I do. Very nice to hear you're working on 'Try And Love Again', Randy has such awesome songs!

In any way, have much fun around here and never hesitate to ask questions, to comment and/or upload videos of your playing. We all love to help each other out with anything.

All the best to you,

Vanessa

spinland

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:59 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Very nice to hear you're working on 'Try And Love Again', Randy has such awesome songs!
He does, indeed! Henley and Frey get most of the songwriting accolades but Meisner has always been a gifted talent in my eyes. The interpersonal conflicts that led him to leave The Eagles were IMNSDHO a musical tragedy. I enjoy Schmit's work but to me Meisner is less sappy and richer with his imagery. My absolute favorite track from the Hotel California album is "The Last Resort" but "Try And Love Again" is 'way up there on the list. Thank you for the fabulous tutorial on that tune! I love your voice as much as I do your playing, and learning from you is going go be a pleasure on all fronts. B)

Mark

spinland

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:01 am

wrsomers wrote:
...I'm sure there are a few of us here that are going to be picking your brain about recording and studio work.
Hi, Bill! I'm always happy (to a fault) to yap about techie stuff, so please: fire away. I enjoy mixing music with tech and, though I'm far from a professional recording engineer, I have some practical experience under my belt. :silly:

auntlynnie

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi Mark, and welcome from Washington, DC!
I don't know what most of the techie things are that you described, but as far a guitar, I hope you'll enjoy the site as much as I do. There's a wealth of music here already, and they keep adding new lessons all the time, so you are sure to keep busy.
Don't be afraid to ask questions about whatever you are working on. Chances are one of the instructors and/or students will jump in with answers.
Cheers,
Lynn

spinland

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am

Thank you, Lynn!

I've only been here a couple of weeks and already I feel like I'm with family. B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic