I finally joined TG!

BobR

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 am

Carol,

It was a pleasure to meet you at camp. I am glad you enjoyed it as we all did.

Hope to see you next time.

Bob

TGNesh

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Awesome to see that you've found your way to TG and the forums Carol!

It was such a pleasure to meet you and to hear you playing those songs so gorgeously at the open mic's.

Like many attendees, i'm already looking forward to next year, would love to see you there again too!

Ness

carolm242

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Awww thanks everybody, for the warm welcome both at IGC 2017 and here on the TG Forum!! You all are awesome and y'all kicked butt up there on the stage. It was a joy to meet everyone and be so inspired by the sheer talent of everyone there. Everyone just rocked it.
I already have the dates for IGC 2018 written (in ink) in my calendar... yes I still do a paper calendar, I borrowed one from Fred Flintstone... I just have to get some vacation days approved for that week. Already making a list of new songs to learn for next year, and figuring out which one of my guitars gets to be my new DADGAD guitar... they are fighting over it. I am thinking of keeping GS Mini or Gibson KebMo in it, not sure yet. (Anyone know if you need to get a new set up done if you leave a guitar in DADGAD all the time?)
Also I can't figure out how to post a video on here, tried twice and it didn't take- any helpers?
Meantime, I can't wait to watch all the videos of IGC 2017 as they get posted!!!
I miss you guys!!

familyman4

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello Carol,

No, you will not need a new set up just by changing to DADGAD tuning. This answer might change if you change the strings from lights to mediums or visa versa. Just simply change the tuning and play away.

The best way I have found to post a video is to have it saved on my personal U-Tube channel and then simply copy and paste the URL from the top left side of the page.

Hope this helps!
Bart

auntlynnie

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 pm

I didn't need a new setup for my DADGAD guitar, however I found that that tuning (and other open tunings) didn't sound very good on my GS-mini, which has a very short scale. So I used my guitar that has the longest scale and it worked well for me. I'm not really sure what the problem was. I would try it on each of your guitars and see which works best for you.
Lynn

familyman4

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm

That is another great point Lynn! For the DADGAD tuning, what you get is a nice drone sound with the bass strings. The bigger the guitar body, the more bass it will produce. The GS Mini works well for a lot of things but it won't really give you the desired sound in DADGAD.

carolm242

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 pm

Heya guys, thank you so much for all your great advice on the DADGAD stuff! I decided to use my Taylor 812 as my dedicated DADGAD guitar for now, and it sounds just lovely! I am still picking thru Doug's arrangement of Shenendoah, when I get it under my fingers will post it for y'all! I hope to do it justice, and a big thank you to Rob M for playing it soooo beautifully at camp and inspiring me to give it a shot!
For now I will attempt to post a video I made a few months ago- I invented a "capo cam" thingy, LOL I rubber banded my iPhone onto my Kyser capo, hit record, and ran with it! I was just messin around, this one is full of mistakes, but just seeing if I can figure out how to post a video so- enjoy! (Hopefully)

vzg14

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm

That was beautifully played...again. Can't wait to hear Shenandoah.

-Vic

carolm242

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Hiya, I wasn't sure where to post this, so it's going right here, ha!
(Is there a designated place for people to share TABS with each other?)

Anywayz, I couldn't find my TABS for Moon River but I remembered it was
from Sungha Jung- so I found a copy of it on YouTube.
This is it, note for note, if anybody wants to give it a whirl :)
Enjoy, C

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:26 am

Sorry I missed this Carol. Nice job indeed! Love the innovative camera angle. Can you post a pic of how it was fixed to the capo. Thnx!
Welcome to the TG video posters club!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic