Greetings from ski country

walkabout

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello fellow pickers. My name is Don, and I just recently joined TG and signed up for the camp next Aug.

I live in Sun Valley, Idaho (a major ski resort for you flat landers) and have been playing guitar for about three years. I have owned guitars for many years but did not get serious about playing until around three years ago. I now practice about three hours a day and attempt to play a wide variety of music. Every thing from Bach/Beethoven to Maybelle Carter, to Paul Simon. You will notice I said "attempt" to play. I am practicing flat picking fiddle tunes as well as fingerpicking a variety of songs. Currently I am working on "Vincent" from the TG lessons.

The choice of guitar instructors in my area is very limited, so I need to rely on the web for good instruction. I have tried other sites with mixed results, but TG looks very promising.

I currently own three very nice guitars, two Martins and a Collings. All far exceed my playing skills.

I am looking forward to learning from the community and seeing some of you at the camp next summer.

Don

michelew

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Don,

Hi from Sydney, where we’re finally getting some long needed rain after a very warm and dry year.

With a name like Walkabout, I thought you might be a indigenous Aussie. I’m guessing not since you’re in Idaho.

I think you’ll love TG. It will definitely boost your learning if you’re willing to put in the time. If you participate in the forum you’re likely to find your fun and general enjoyment increases even more. Take advantage of the opportunities to post videos of your progress and or of you just having fun. Well love seeing that. And don’t be afraid to ask questions or just post threads about things you’re thinking about. In addition to our wonderful teachers, the community is full of knowledge people who share your passion.

Enjoy the journey. Hopefully we see you around.

Michele

crieniecat

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 am

Hi Don,

Good to see another new member on the forum!
And you signed up for camp as well... :woohoo:

See you there :)

Cheers (from the only non guitarist on this forum)
Corina. (a flat lander :lol: )

spinland

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 am

Hi, Don! Most majorly welcome! :woohoo:

I'm from that snow country that's also flatlander territory (Central New York). Great cross-country ski destination; golfing, not so much. :side:

I'm a beginner-starting-to-get-a-glimmer and this place has been pure gold for me. My style runs more to the bluesier side of electric playing but these guys keep me honest in keeping up with acoustic practice; definitely helpful for all styles.

Looking forward to meeting you at Camp!

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Welcome Don from Ski-country Switzerland!
Hope you have a ball here and hope you get around to posting something played on your Collins guitar.... nice stable!

Chris in Swiss

walkabout

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Chris, where in Switzerland do you live? My wife and I were married in Switzerland, 45 years ago.

Don

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 am

That's pretty cool Don! I live near Zürich.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic