I'm back!

Michael Guy Lee

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy!!!

I was hit with Dupuytren's disease about three years ago, and my hands contracted inwards. Namely, I couldn't' straighten some of my fingers anymore, especially my forth finger of my left hand; yes, that's the one I play the fretboard with.

I went in for hand surgery in June of 2020 and man was that a horror show! I had to endure four deep shots of novocaine on an operating table. The surgeon said they would feel like mosquito bites. She lied! They felt like bullet wasps!

It took months to heal. Man, did that finger ever ache! But I finally picked up my Gretsch, tuned her up, and played. I can still play! I thought I was done for! :D

My finger tips are as tender as a baby's bum, and I'll need to practise more to toughen them up again, but I know I can do it!

My only difficulty is I can't play the G chord with just my second, third and fourth fingers like I used to. I have to play it now by shifting my hand down the neck one fret and play it with my first, second and third fingers. It's incredibly confusing and going to take some time.

Cheers,

Michael Guy Lee

TGNeil

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Hey Michael,

Welcome back! I am so sorry to hear about you hand adventures, as you can well imagine.
As far as your new 'G' chord I have to say I have always advocated having multiple fingers that you are comfortable with in general. Take a stab at a 'D' chord without your first finger, as I recommend in today's lesson, St. Louis Blues.

All the best,

Neil

TGNesh

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:13 am

Welcome back Mike!

I can only imagine what it must be like to not be able to play... :( ....and I'm so happy for you that you're back at it.

Yes, fingering chords differently takes a little adjusting, and some practice, but I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck!,

Vanessa

michelew

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Michael,

It sounds like you’ve been through a nightmare.

Great to hear you’re playing again after all that.

They say necessity is the mother of invention. For guitarist, perhaps it’s the grand pappy of different fingerings. ;)

Welcome back and good luck with your dexterity journey.

Looking forward to seeing a video.

Michele

daryl

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Mike! I've missed you. Sounds like you've had quite the time. Hope you get your callouses back soon and we get video from you. Good luck!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Very happy for you Mike that you have recovered the use of your hand.... a nightmare and scary thing to have happen! happy playing :D

familyman4

Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:47 am

Welcome back Mike! And I am sure you have many new learning adventures ahead of you in everyday life. A person really doesn't know how much we use each finger until something happens and we lose the ability to do so. Be careful not to injure your hand by using it too much too fast.

Looking forward to seeing & hearing you again in the future!
Bart

Michael Guy Lee

Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 am

I really cannot lie to you. After the first wave of covid, I managed to get into the hospital for painful hand surgery for Dupuytren's disease. I thought it was a success and she straightened my left fifth (the pinky) finger, but as sad as what happened in the Washington Capitol Building today, the surgery was a failure and my hand collapsed back into itself. All I can do is sing.

But a leading hand surgeon in the United States, Dr. Eaton, said he will try to help me!

Lots of love,

Michael

TGNesh

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm

Wow.......so, so sorry to hear that Michael.... :o What an incredible bummer, to say the least. Really hope Dr. Eaton can help you out!

Thanks for the update, and best of luck Mike,

Vanessa
Michael Guy Lee wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 am
I really cannot lie to you. After the first wave of covid, I managed to get into the hospital for painful hand surgery for Dupuytren's disease. I thought it was a success and she straightened my left fifth (the pinky) finger, but as sad as what happened in the Washington Capitol Building today, the surgery was a failure and my hand collapsed back into itself. All I can do is sing.

But a leading hand surgeon in the United States, Dr. Eaton, said he will try to help me!

Lots of love,

Michael

daryl

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope your fretting hand can get corrected. But if it can't there's still hope. Didn't Django Reinhardt only have 2 functioning fingers on his fretting hand? Two thoughts: (1) perhaps open tunings could allow you to play with only 2 or 3 fingers, and (2) perhaps look at slide/steel guitar playing. Are you still able to play with 3 fingers?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic