Hello I’m Julian

juval2112

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Hello
I’ve just upgraded from bronze to platinum. I’ve bought a few lesson packages in the past and I can play recognisable (but by no means perfect) versions of songs by Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Neil Young. However I thought I should try to learn how to play the guitar not just how to play a few songs on the guitar (if that makes sense). Do any of you have any suggestions as to where to start?
Thanks
Julian

auntlynnie

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Welcome, Julian,
Where to start is a really good question that has a different answer for each person. Everyone learns in different ways. Some people enjoy studying theory and others learn songs and pick up the theory along the way, or not at all. There are so many different styles - fingerstyle, strumming, blues, rock, it is endless.
I've never concentrated on learning theory. At first I came here, like you, looking for Neil Young, Jethro Tull, and other classic rock. But I've also worked on Country Blues/Acoustic Blues. And sometimes I just work on a song because I like it or I want to learn what makes that song unique. Some of the songs stay in my repitoire, some get discarded.
My suggestion would be to grab what you strikes your fancy, because with the membership everything is available to you, so if you don't care for a song, or it is out of your skill level at the moment, you can go on to something else.
Also watching the weekly wrap-ups lets you know what's new on the site. Also check out the Courses and Series (listed below the Artists in the left sidebar). I worked on the Country Blues series for fingerpicking. And there's all kinds of stuff there if you want to work in a more focused way, rather than just learning songs.
Hope this helps.
Lynn

juval2112

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks Lyn
I too have tried some country/acoustic blues fingerpicking. Great fun but really really hard.
My first foray into my new membership has been Blackberry Smoke. Next up I think will be some Allman Brothers. You’re right there is so much to try.
Thanks again
Julian

juval2112

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Sorry Lynn for missing out the second n in my reply

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic