NEW BOY - Where to start

Davebutterill

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:36 pm

Hi All,
I've just joined Totally Guitar and just wanted to say hi.
I'm a 73 year old English man from North Yorkshire. I have been "messing" with the guitar for about 20 years, and I feel I have been getting nowhere for 20 years. I can play most of the open chords fairly well and I can paly a few songs from music. If a friend says " play something on the guitar Dave " without the music I can't do it. I am looking for a course of lessons to help me progress and learn a few songs off by heart. PLEASE HELP

TGNeil

Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the message and welcome to TG. A lot of where to start really depends on where you are, what you would like to play, and where you want to be. I have a little idea from your post but one place might be to work on playing by ear. Start with just trying to play the melody to something like Norwegian Wood or Like A Hurricane.

Then try the same approach to figuring out the chords to a song without looking it up. Since I mentioned a Neil Young song above, maybe something like Comes A Time.

I could probably answer better if you let me know some of the songs you play now, as well as some you'd like to play. There are so many directions- fingerpicking, strumming, stuff like Here Comes The Sun or From The Beginning (both of which are challenging songs with a flat pick.

So put in some more details when you can.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic