Campfire Versions

AcousticAl

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 pm

kirbySfan wrote:
There are a lot of sites on YouTube teaching “campfire” versions of songs. In my opinion it would be better to teach songs using intermediate or advanced level techniques, e.g. melody and strumming together.

I'm liking the campfire tunes- but I see another angle..

These songs are available to everyone.. not just TARGET members. I think Neil and Matt need to be careful not to 'give the farm away' so to speak. Too many of these and they might get less membership in the TARGET program. That pays the bills around here.

But I'm sure they've thought it through.

AndyT

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:55 am

After they learn all the campfire songs they are going to want to learn something more challenging. Give it time.

Lavallee

Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 am

I think they are good freebies because they are easy to make and they could be found anywhere. It gives more volume to the free side of the site and does not take too much time to do compare to Target. The more adavnced stuff are still for target only.

Good approach I think

Marc

BigBear

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:32 am

Music Junkie wrote:
No, no 12-string here. Don't know enough about em' yet to get a bad enough case of the wants....lol

I am sure as I progress on this site that will change...lol
MJ- you gotta get one!! They are so fun to play! I wouldn't part with mine at gun point!! Some songs just beg for that jangly sound like all Gordon Lightfoot, most Simon and Garfunkel, ELP, Moody Blues, some Neil Young and CSN&Y (Crosby played one frequently) and on and on!

I admit it, I'm having a "Bro-mance" with my 12 string. It just sits there and calls out to me, "Play me, Play me!". I can't resist it!! I'm helpless against it's power! lol!

Start saving those hard earned dollars buddy and get with the program! lol! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:16 pm

BigBear wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
No, no 12-string here. Don't know enough about em' yet to get a bad enough case of the wants....lol

I am sure as I progress on this site that will change...lol
MJ- you gotta get one!! They are so fun to play! I wouldn't part with mine at gun point!! Some songs just beg for that jangly sound like all Gordon Lightfoot, most Simon and Garfunkel, ELP, Moody Blues, some Neil Young and CSN&Y (Crosby played one frequently) and on and on!

I admit it, I'm having a "Bro-mance" with my 12 string. It just sits there and calls out to me, "Play me, Play me!". I can't resist it!! I'm helpless against it's power! lol!

Start saving those hard earned dollars buddy and get with the program! lol! :cheer:
I know, I know..... I see them hanging in the guitar stores all the time, but never a lefty to try out. I need to make a mad dash from here in CA back to Houston, TX. They have a kick butt store back there called "Southpaw Guitars". The guy that owns it is a superb dude. I ordered my Baby Taylor through him and could not be more happy with that purchase. His online stock is great, but to go check them out first hand would be a dream come true for me. I am lucky if I find one lefty in any given store. Then, when I do, it is usually a Fender for $179.00...... I would really love to be able to walk in a store sometime and sit down and test drive all sorts of models to see what I have been missing. Speaking of 12-strings, what could one expect to pay for a solid model?

MJ

:dry:

BigBear

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
I know, I know..... I see them hanging in the guitar stores all the time, but never a lefty to try out. I need to make a mad dash from here in CA back to Houston, TX. They have a kick butt store back there called "Southpaw Guitars". The guy that owns it is a superb dude. I ordered my Baby Taylor through him and could not be more happy with that purchase. His online stock is great, but to go check them out first hand would be a dream come true for me. I am lucky if I find one lefty in any given store. Then, when I do, it is usually a Fender for $179.00...... I would really love to be able to walk in a store sometime and sit down and test drive all sorts of models to see what I have been missing. Speaking of 12-strings, what could one expect to pay for a solid model?

MJ

MJ- If money is an issue (when isn't it?) I'd go either Seagull or Takamine. Check out this link!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coa ... 1395110.gc

THIS IS LEFT HANDED!!! Guitar Center lists 4 pages of Seagull so check them out!

Here's the same guitar in right hand to see what it looks like:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coa ... 1393085.gc

I'm a huge Seagull fan despite the fact that Chas thinks I work for Taylor (you know where I work! lol!)! I would buy a Seagull any day of the week and be proud to do so!! I love my Taylors and Larrivee but I couldn't afford one of those right now.

Besides, a real man would just walk in and tell the wife you needed a new 12 string and to get over it!! :lol: Who am I kidding? I married a woman 13 years my junior and she has me thoroughly trained! lol! Yes, dear, no, dear! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:53 pm

BigBear wrote:

MJ- If money is an issue (when isn't it?) I'd go either Seagull or Takamine. Check out this link!

I'm a huge Seagull fan despite the fact that Chas thinks I work for Taylor (you know where I work! lol!)! I would buy a Seagull any day of the week and be proud to do so!! I love my Taylors and Larrivee but I couldn't afford one of those right now.

Besides, a real man would just walk in and tell the wife you needed a new 12 string and to get over it!! :lol: Who am I kidding? I married a woman 13 years my junior and she has me thoroughly trained! lol! Yes, dear, no, dear! :cheer:
As a fellow 12 stringer I actually agree with Bears advice Seagulls or takamines, my 12 string Tak is a higher end model but they do very good ones at entry level and mid range. Seagulls are also nice sounding guitars (Quick aside... Q. Why do Seagulls fly upside down over Australia... A. Its not worth crapping on) Couldn't resist.

And yeah with a Wife 13 years younger you gotta behave otherwise you get traded in for younger models!

Get a 12 MJ Get a 12!!

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:22 pm

BigBear wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

MJ

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coa ... 1395110.gc

THIS IS LEFT HANDED!!! Guitar Center lists 4 pages of Seagull so check them out!

Here's the same guitar in right hand to see what it looks like:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coa ... 1393085.gc

Thanks for the links! They are nice looking guitars. The only place I have ever seen a 12 hanging in stock in a lefty was a nice little store in the bay area called Gryphon Stringed Instruments. Very cool folks there as well. I will certainly get one some day, but the deal I have with my wife is that my guitar collection can only grow proportionately to my song library. So that being said, I am going to be a HUGE HUGE fan of the campfire series (THANKS AGAIN NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey MJ, Gryphon Stringed Instruments is the shop behind Frets.com, the best Luthier site on the net. The owner Frank Ford really knows his stuff

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Hey MJ, Gryphon Stringed Instruments is the shop behind Frets.com, the best Luthier site on the net. The owner Frank Ford really knows his stuff
Small world... I just happened to be in that neck of the woods one day and stopped in to see what they had. They actually had about five or six lefties there, and pretty decent models. I actually got to test drive a couple of Martins, a Taylor and one I can't remember too much about. I just really remember the staff there being so fun and helpful. Very cool little repair shop in the back that had several people standing around and talking shop. They did seem to know their stuff. Would like to go back next time I go north, and see what they have. I also plan on stopping by Neils shop next time I am up there as well. That would be like a trip to the Holy Land for me at this point.....lol....:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic