WSJ on online guitar lessons

tovo

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

A very interesting article, thanks for posting.

I agree that I can't see face-to-face lessons disappearing anytime soon and that each method has advantages, but I reckon if I were to do a quick list, online advantages would come out on top. In fact, I'm doing one:

Online lesson Advantages:

More cost effective based on contact time
Available 24/7
Able to watch a section again, and again and again
On a good site like TG there are a range of styles, techniques and songs catered to. Often, more than 1 instructor is available so that students can find the one that best suits them
Lessons can be taken not only anytime, but anywhere such as a hotel room when travelling
No scheduling difficulties
No cancellation fees
Option to learn from other subscribers through forums or sharing video and questions

Face-to Face advantages

Instant correction
Ability to ask a range of questions and get immediate answers
opportunity to establish a really strong teacher/student relationship

I'm sure I've left some out. That's just off the top of my head.

Nice thread.

unclewalt

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Good point someone made above: just because there are a lot of online guitar teachers, that doesn't mean there are a lot of good ones. Just like in the neighborhood, I suppose.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 am

Nesh, I think you are safe. A winning personality with your kind of energy and knowledge is just what every learner is looking for. I think its more a question of what kind of mix would work as learning progresses. I think that for the beginner its very important to have a mentor in the flesh, it would be much harder for most folks to start only using the internet. The web serves as an instant library and data base and as a fantastic resource but you have to be independent and highly motivated to be able to make progress just using the web. Without the help of my friends early on, I may not even own a guitar now. But as you advance and do more and know more, the web becomes more valuable and viable. As a teacher in another field, I'm very interested to see how web-based learning advances.

tombo1230

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:44 am

Interesting comments guys, lots of good points made!

I actually second everything that Chris said. Thanks for the vote of confidence too!! :) :)

For me personally the web is absolutely fantastic! Then again, I've learned good playing habits ages ago, so instructions provided by video works just fine for me.

On the other hand, I do see students who look things up online, in the proces of that often using bad playing habits, and stíll having a whole bunch of questions, things that I would find 'a piece of cake', I mean it's often explained in the vid that they have been watching :S . In general I usually don't like it that much when they use instructional vids on youtube or something, because it takes a whole lotta time for me to undo those bad habits and worse, explaining the sometimes poor instructions of other teachers. Actually I hate that! Or I keep hearing.....but, but, but, but....the guy on youtube says blah blah.....%#$@%@$#%!! :angry: :S

Oh well.....I guess it's true, private lessons will not dissapear, but for the in real life teacher it'll become harder and harder. :(

willem

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:11 am

unclewalt wrote:
Heh, I do that all the time, but opposite -- when I see a reference to the Wisconsin State Journal, and think it's it's the Wall Street Journal.

You're right, of course. But it will make things a little tougher for some guitar teachers. It doesn't mean there won't be any demand for them at all, though.

Right now, I'm working on Neil's version of "When I'm 64." He has the tab and the recording available on his other Web site, but there's no lesson, and I'm having a very tough time with a couple of passages. I might make a video of the trouble spots, or just ask him to perhaps go over them in the news update. But that's the kind of thing where you miss having an in-person teacher. (Which, by the way, I've never really had -- unless you count high school, where my guitar teacher knew music, but didn't really know how to play guitar. I taught him how to play bar chords.)

I also have that tab of ''when I'm 64'' and ask for a lesson,,,gee man I thought I was alone..and he is my only teacher...you said I ask him to go over that in the news update,,,well if Neil want us to work!!! than maybe a fly on the wall would also work but he needs a student that want to learn this song in that way.

I prefer a totallyguitar breakdown lesson before I get the age of 64..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic