WSJ on online guitar lessons

unclewalt

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 am

How the Web and apps are changing how people teach and learn guitar. (Let me know if this link doesn't work for non-WSJ-subscribers, and I'll paste in the story if necessary).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... hare_tweet

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

unclewalt wrote:
How the Web and apps are changing how people teach and learn guitar. (Let me know if this link doesn't work for non-WSJ-subscribers, and I'll paste in the story if necessary).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... hare_tweet

I could read it and did..

I don't think private lesson/teachers will dissapear,,if they are good and have the teachers blood,,,maybe the price will be less..but they have to live is'nt it and pay there taxes,,you can say its expensive but that lays more on your own wallet..and what you think on online teachers would'nt they lift up the prices intime??

I am very happy with TG and his community and I had experience with private lessons but the problem for me was that I all forget what was teached when I left the frontdoor so I could all start over when the next lesson was there,,coud'nt practice a thing cos did'nt know what to do..well you can geuss how happy i am now with all the lesson video's...

WE live in a fast world,,maybe to fast and just like practicing,,,,,,slooooooooowwww down..

Willem

ps glad Neil is a star teacher....there are more such teachers but I'm glad I met him,,,,via the net...

buddy

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for posting this as it was a really interesting article.

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting Walt... nice to know how far ahead of the curve we already are... and at half the price too! ;-)
Neil rules!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Gosh......this is depressing..... :(

Guess I should find myself a real job then.....

unclewalt

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I wouldn't worry *too* much if you're a teacher. Journalists tend to make more out of a trend than is really there (I know because I am one!), though I think the trend is very real for sure. But I also think that one-on-one lessons have benefits that you can't get online (and vice versa, actually). The lesson for teachers could be: go online! And consider the fact that Neil still does private lessons.

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Gosh......this is depressing..... :(

Guess I should find myself a real job then.....

No Vanessa,,your doing just fine..and gee you can count the good online teachers on 1 hand...

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks guys, I really hope so...! :S

suziko

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't think "real life" teachers are going to disappear any time soon. Online tuition is great and is certainly a great deal. But there is a good reason for wanting individual attention from an experienced and knowledgeable instructor. As we see from the Fly on the Wall clips, a lot of Neil's students use the internet to learn things- and then come to him to clear up questions they have or to refine technique.

Funny- it shows what a "cheesehead" I've become. I saw WSJ and immediately thought "Wisconsin State Journal." :)

Suzi

unclewalt

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Heh, I do that all the time, but opposite -- when I see a reference to the Wisconsin State Journal, and think it's it's the Wall Street Journal.

You're right, of course. But it will make things a little tougher for some guitar teachers. It doesn't mean there won't be any demand for them at all, though.

Right now, I'm working on Neil's version of "When I'm 64." He has the tab and the recording available on his other Web site, but there's no lesson, and I'm having a very tough time with a couple of passages. I might make a video of the trouble spots, or just ask him to perhaps go over them in the news update. But that's the kind of thing where you miss having an in-person teacher. (Which, by the way, I've never really had -- unless you count high school, where my guitar teacher knew music, but didn't really know how to play guitar. I taught him how to play bar chords.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic