>> I am out of hibernation here is why ? TG's first Guitar camp

TGMatt

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Well folks...Here is the deal.

We are going to plan and run the first TG guitar camp.

For more than 2 years Neil and I have discussed holding a guitar camp. After a recent flurry of activity on the forum to attend one next year with what looks to be a very well put together camp , we have been batting around the idea of holding one under the TG banner.

Now one of the reasons we have held off is that we wanted ours to be a very high quality production with very real outcomes for people who attend. Until now we have not had the time nor the right type of people to help us plan and run something that is very high quality and professional, until now.

Here is where you all come in.

We have the right human resources to execute, the time and the inclination to do this now. We have some very cool teachers to bring to the table and what we think is a unique curriculum with a few surprise turns.

We know what is out there, we know the competition, we also know that a bunch of you are going to one next year which is super cool. (it looks like a great event)

What we don't have is your feedback..

Our plan is to run one in the summer months this year, June or July. Give you guys here a guaranteed place at a special TG members only price before we market externally. This will be our first camp and we aim to make it a special event that is on par with the very best out there.

What would you like to see if you attended, what would be the expectations and outcomes ..??

We want to do this right and it starts with feedback.

So fire away, let us know as we build out our plan.

Cheers

Matt

familyman4

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Well this is great news. My fear for the camp this summer is that it is such short notice for a lot of our "far away" travelers. So the first thing to decide on are the exact dates & location so vacations can be requested & flights can be booked as far in advance as possible for the least expensive costs.

What I would hope to see:
* Jam sessions during the event.
* Class sizes fairly small so individual attention can still be available.
* Differant classes set up for beginner, intermediate & intermediate/advanced students
* Types of classes would include:
* Finger picking styles
* Flat picking techniques
* Acoustic blues (including slide)
* Alternate tunings
* Maybe even a video & audio recording class option
* Several opportunities for getting to know each other
* Having the TG banner at the event or a new one made up for the 1st annual TG camp so all participants can sign.

This is what I am thinking of with a quick glance. I will say that I am very excited with the thoughts of meeting and jamming with a lot of our TG members. I certainly hope this can work out for many folks.

More information will be added quickly by other forum participants...

Thanks...
Bart

d_dog

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Sounds EXCELLENT to me!
I think FamilyMan hit the nail(s) on the head(s)
Good points and good topics I concur.
I'd like to see it be at least a 2 day if not 3 day event. If many are going to travel, one day seems a bit short.
I'd love to go! Count me in!
I'm not sure how many teachers will be there but I imagine each has varied pasts and influences and styles.
It would be cool to see it run like a tech convention of sorts is run, where you get a list of all the people hosting classes and what they're about and you sign up and schedule classes throughout the day. Just like Photoshop World or something like that.
Of course at night is a a bunch of jam sessions all over the place for people to wander around to. And lots a beer :)
Perhaps the last night is a big concert with all the teachers jamming.

Looking forward to it!

Hey look at that, my first post in almost 2 years!!! :)

:laugh: B) :cheer:

sbutler

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 am

First of all, what a great idea. I just may be able to attend if its in July. Yeehaw.

So, I would add to the list, some stuff on learning to solo/improv/free form type of playing. Its been a popular topic here. Enough for Neil to do some lessons on it.
I like the finger picking sessions idea.
And for sure acoustic blues.
I need work on focused or precise picking. So I'd add that to the mix.

I've never been to a guitar camp before, so I really wouldn't know what to expect based on experience, but the entire process sounds really great.

Good to hear from ya Matt. Thanks for the news.
Scott

sbutler

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 am

Well it sounds awesome in many ways!!!! I have always wished for such a thing to happen for TG, it would be just AWESOME to meet everyone in person. And yes, my fear is the same.....june/july is really close......and Europe ain't around the corner, I assume this will be held in the States, possibly LA?

Bart has already made a very good list. I think I would like to see open mic's in the evening (or whenever during the day), so that students can entertain each other and also will learn how to perform on stage in public (or at least experience it).

This is fantastic news Matt and Neil, hope it will all come together!!

Ness

daryl

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

- How to "find your groove".
- How to work on timing.
- How to sing while playing (kind of goes with working on timing).
- How to strum in different styles (rock, folk, swing, latin, muting, percussion, etc.)
- Thumb independence

michelew

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 am

Interesting. I'll be watching with envy. Too far to swim in such a short time. :)

Matt I suggest you change the title of this thread to something more obvious like...TG camp. You might get more responses.

Good luck.

M.

Finding your groove. :) what a good idea. :)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 am

Hey Matt, come back with a bang, why don't you :)

This is what we've been waiting for. I have to agree, this summer is already tomorrow for most of us who are far away so that may well reduce the number of people who could possibly attend. I can't say now if it would be possible for me but of course, I love to attend...and bring Ale too so that would require a beginners corner. Otherwise, off the bat I like Daryl's suggestion,
- How to strum in different styles (rock, folk, swing, latin, muting, percussion, etc.)
From my own experience of organising courses, training camps and workshop weekends, make sure there is plenty of "space" and "hang time" between organised sessions as this is where things really get humming. I'm assuming a camp would be at least 1 week long.

Thumbs up!

willem

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 am

Mmmm,this year not,,,an other year?? don't know yet,,I have to deal with many things such as flying(never done that and than the first is directly 10 hours),,,

Scott heeeeeeeeeeellllllppppppppp please...

Willem

dennisg

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Matt,

I think anything that can get our TG sisters and brothers together is a good idea, and someday I would love to attend one of these gatherings. But given that it's almost February, being in the planning stages of a 2013 camp feels a little ambitious.

As someone who has attended camp twice, I realize that there are about a million things that can go wrong at a gathering like the one you're proposing, and the fact that the Seattle camp runs so smoothly is a testament to the talent of the people involved and the fact that they've had about 35 years to shake out the bugs.

You've been missing for quite a long time, so we don't really know what you've been up to. If you've attended a few guitar camps, then you've likely learned a lot. If you haven't attended any guitar camps, I would suggest you sign up for a few of them ... immediately, before you start making any plans about your own camp. That's due diligence.

Matt, there are a lot of suggestions I could make about this or that -- from camp location, to food, to lodging, to types of classes, to extra-curricular activities, etc. -- but I don't want to bore people with a thousand-word post. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic