>> I am out of hibernation here is why ? TG's first Guitar camp

MarkM

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 am

Matt,

This sounds like a fantastic idea. One in which I hope to attend. However the summer months are already starting to fill up. How sad is that? I may be able to do a late July event at this point. To be honest August or later would be much better. Not sure how that will work with all the resources you have been discussing this with. I agree that you should put a "TG Camp" as a title in the forum as we'll probably see more participation in the dialog. I really hope this works out as I'd love to attend.

MarkM

suziko

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

A TG guitar camp sounds potentially interesting. Like most people, this summer is just way too soon for me. I've already got my plans pretty much set for this coming summer. I would be curious to find out more details about the TG camp for later years, of course. Though for 2014 I am commited to attending the other camp that has been discussed in the forum.

I would definitely like to see workshops on other styles, in particular some bluegrass classes, blues jams, and fingerpicking styles. Alternate tunings would be nice, too. Maybe a class on improvising.

Classes aside, I would want to attend a camp that had decent lodging on-site and also all meals provided in the cost of the camp

Suzi

Catman

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 am

dennisg wrote:
-- but I don't want to bore people with a thousand-word post. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.
Den, I for one wouldn't be bored!

thereshopeyet

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

Hello Matt

It's great that your out of hibernation.
You got TG off the starter line with a bang so if anyone can make it work out your the man :laugh:

I would love to consider this but this summer is short notice.
More time would be needed to plan this and save the dosh to do it too.

If you go ahead this year as you plan I would be keen if possible, for TG fee you determine.... a dedicated TG Member Camp Channel
of class events video uploads of some sort for TG Members who are unable to attend FOTW style demos, instruction, interviews etc

I've never been to anything like this so wouldn't know what to expect.
I assume it would be treated as a learning event for all levels, from Guitar playing, song / music writing.
unplugged / plugged Acoustic, electric, singing and recording to advanced demonstrations from folk who've been there and done it
Probably too much to ask from a very green person who considers himself very much a beginner but much of what I suggest I'm sure would be of interest
to those with more experience that me.

jimcjimc

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Some factors for a music camp:

- the setting: cabins, lodges, and tent areas and the natural setting (lakes, mountains, hiking trails) and the food

- the students: a sense of community and support

- the instructors: a mix of styles

- the classes: a mix of portfolio classes (learning songs) and technique classes , singing classes, performance workshops, ...

- other instruments: a chance to learn stand-up bass or mandolin or steel guitar or ukelele, etc

- the evenings: open mikes, teacher's concert, a dance, and a student concert

- time for jams

It would be great to have a TG camp as you already have the community of people that know each other via the forum and videos.

JimC

TGMatt

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Dennis.

Thx for your post.

Please if you have stuff to contribute, say it here, so that everyone can read it, process it, perhaps trigger there own thinking and your own experience.

As for what I have been doing, plenty, it doesn't matter what I have been doing frankly. All that matters is we are going to run our first camp this year, in spite of the hurdles, the challenges and the lack of a 35 year track record. If I let that get in the way of doing anything I would still be handing out videos at a rental store as I was when I was 17. Due diligence has and is being done , I don't expect we will be a mirror image of any other camp.

I also expect that we are doing this to begin a new chapter long term, we will make it a positive experience for people, it will be the first of many, and every year we will improve them no doubt, but we have to start somewhere, and this year is a great year to start don't you think?..

So we are going to take a positive approach to this, that our first camp will be a success, that with the professional event planner who is working alongside us, has pulled off much bigger things than this in a shorter time, and the extra people recently recruited to this project will ensure that people will get what they came for, which is to move their skill levels forward exponentially.

And if Neil and I are the only folks to show, we will record it and have fun anyways,and we will have learnt something , if 3 people turn up it will be a success, if 20 people show it will be a party, wait it will be a party with Neil and I anyway.

So thats the way forward. June July August probably closer to July or August, first one is San Jose for obvious reasons, plans beyond that of course but baby steps, we have a venue, we will be announcing stuff to you guys soon ie less than 3 weeks then we will be moving our marketing beyond TG..

So pitch in Dennis you have a brillant amount of experience to share and I am sure everyone here would love to hear about your experiences and what made it so special.

Cheers

tovo

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Bart's list is pretty good and I liked Ness's ideas about open mike sessions.

I'll be sticking to my plans to attend a camp in Washington State in 2014 because although a commitment to travel to the USA isn't unrealistic for me, committing to an event that is less than 6 months away at this point probably is.

It sounds like you intend to market this event to a much broader audience than just TG members, so the success or otherwise of the event probably doesn't hinge on a high number of TGers attending. I'd very much like to have the opportunity to meet more of the folks here but there is very little chance of it being at this event due to the tight timings.

Disappointing, but that's life. Good luck with the camp, I hope a lot of US-based TGers can attend and enjoy together.

familyman4

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

I refer back to this quote sometimes. I think it is appropriate in this case.....

"A Winner take imperfect action, A Loser is still tweaking their plan". Wish I could remember who coined the phrase but I do not....

Bart

familyman4

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Another thought is to have sessions for electric guitar. We have a lot of folks working on these skills as well.

Thanks...
Bart

michelew

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm

If I make it to the US in 2014, I will be going to the Seattle camp. If there is a TG camp on that year, I'll consider whether both might be possible since I'll be travelling so far. But for 2014 I'm also committed and really looking forward to it.

Having said that, I really looking forward to hearing about what the TG camp will be and all about it.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic