A Bit More On The Vanessa Story

TGNeil

Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 am

Hi Gang,

I just want to say how excited Matt and I are that Vanessa has agreed to join the TG team in this new role and how much we are looking forward to working with her. I also want to give you a little more info on how this evolved.

Matt and I have always been on the lookout for additional teachers who could create lessons with content and a style similar to what I have been doing. Needless to say, the standard is beyond what many people who 'teach' guitar can reach. It also requires a few abilities not particularly related to one-on-one lessons.

Matt mentioned to me a few weeks ago that we should consider talking to Vanessa about giving it a try and hoped she would be interested. He also felt the we should make an effort to get her to the IGC in a more instructional role rather than a student. The first step was to approach her with the idea and shoot a sample lesson.

We all know what a great asset she has been to TG over the last couple years and I particularly have appreciated how much help and guidance she has contributed on her own time. I was certainly hoping she could conquer some technical challenges and produce a lesson we felt was worthy of backing and adding to our library of material.

When Matt and I saw her first attempt we were blown away and decided to jump on the situation and have her do a complete lesson on the Adele song Someone Like You. In virtually no time she learned to use a higher quality camera, video editing software, and an FTP-type program to load massive files on our server. She even took it upon herself to invest in a background similar to one I use (although not so much anymore, which is a different story I may get to another time).

I hope everybody has had a chance to check out her first lesson and can see why we are so excited about going forward with her on a regular basis, She brings a new dimension to our already diverse landscape. I also expect that this will not diminish her general contributions to the Forum or anywhere else. As a matter of fact, it might make her even more comfortable commenting and adding her perspective and knowledge to the discussions.

To sum up, Matt and I are thrilled to bring Vanessa further into the TG family!

Neil

Music Junkie

Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 am

I was very happy to see the announcement. It does makes sense, and her attitude and encouragement are certainly in line with what we have been lucky to have already. A big thanks to you and to Matt for the move.... :)

familyman4

Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am

Neil,

Thank you for the additional explanation of some of the "behind the scenes" story.

As you can tell by all of the hugely positive responses on the forum, we are just as happy to have her teaching as you and Matt are. It is fantastic having one of own promoted / hired in such a way! We will look forward to her lesson's, just like yours, and will also be anxiously awaiting what other marvelous changes or additions TG cental has up the sleeve, since you might have a little extra time to expand in other directions :) This is not a hint or request in any way, it just appears to me that your a driven individual and will jump on opportunities to explore many enhancements for the site.

Boy oh boy do I wish I could be at IGC in September!!! What a great inaugural year this is shaping up to be B)

Thanks for all you do to help us!

Bart

sbutler

Wed May 29, 2013 10:18 am

Neil, you and Matt really scored witH picking Vanessa. As I commented on her first lesson, she is a natural.

Many people are gifted at at something, but they are lost when trying to share that gift or teach it to others. It's the very reason I decided on this learning site instead of any other. You have the gift. You can reach students of every skill level and I get the feeling that Vanessa has the same gift.

This is going to be really good.

Scott

suziko

Wed May 29, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks, Neil, for filling us in on your side of the Vanessa story. Like so many people here, I am thrilled for Vanessa, for TG and for all the members of TG. We all have seen how talented she is, both as a musician and as a teacher. Not only that, so many of us have benefited directly from her advice and feedback on songs and general musical questions. And as someone who has been fortunate to meet her in real life (as so many of you will this coming September), I can testify that she is just as kind, generous, supportive and fun in person as she is on-line. This is just great!

Suzi

willem

Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 pm

She as the teachers blood too and I am very happy for her that she can expand that,,

Willem

lmc831

Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Just wanna say....way to go Vanessa! I enjoyed your Adele Lesson! Happy to hear that you are a part of the TG Staff! Looking forward to more lessons from you!

Lisa

lueders

Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm

And Í am THRILLED as well!!!!!! Thanks so very much Neil and Matt!! :cheer:

Gosh...... :blink: :P

dennisg

Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks guys and gals (great to hear from you Lisa! :) ) for the heartwarming support!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) SMILING, SMILING, SMILING!! :cheer:

coomba

Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey Neil

I don't know about you but nesh16041972 Target Member might need an update considering the latest fantastic news.
Just a thought !

Vanessa
Target Teacher

or

TG Vanessa
Teacher Special Class

Any thoughts TGer's

Cheers Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic