Announcing tgsongfinder.com

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 am

Some of you might have read my post in the "Looking For Housekeeping Help..." thread where I talked about improving search on the site. Well, in my copious spare time (NOT :)) I threw together some code that crawls through all the lessons and lets you search through them pretty quickly. Just go to http://tgsongfinder.com and type in all or part of an artist name, song name, or a tag (e.g. "progressive", "fingerpicking", "80s", etc.) You can also use the difficulty tags like "beginner", "intermediate", and "advanced". You'll get results as you type, and then you can just click on any of them to open up the lesson in a new window.

Let me know what you think, or if you experience any problems. I did some quick testing on several browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer 9 (I can't vouch for older versions of IE). There are some other features I will add when I get time, like the ability to choose the exact min and max levels you want or to sort the results by level, date, artist, etc. Also you can't combine different search terms yet like "fingerpicking pink floyd". I can also index some of the other content like the Acoustic Snapshots and the Weekly Wrap Up videos. If only I had more time to work on it...

Note that tgsongfinder.com is a separate site I created that's not part of the official totallyguitars.com site. However all the links to lessons do send you to the official totallyguitars.com site.

--
Steve

TGNesh

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 am

WOW!! WAY to go Steve!! You're the greatest! :cheer:

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 am

tgvanessa wrote:
WOW!! WAY to go Steve!! You're the greatest! :cheer:
It'd also be cool if the instructor name were associated with each song so then you could just search for "vanessa" and you'd be done :)

--
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 am

That's brilliant Steve, great job! You are turning out to be TG's "find of the year!" Thanks for a great contribution!
Chris

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 am

Steve, that's very cool

Steve Wrote:
It'd also be cool if the instructor name were associated with each song so then you could just search for "vanessa" and you'd be done
Hey and there will soon be a Song Pack of them !! :cheer:

:ohmy:

Is the , search to lesson available only to Target members only or everyone?

Dermot

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Is the , search to lesson available only to Target members only or everyone?
The search is available to everyone. In fact one of the tags you can search for is "free lesson". If you're not a member then when you go any of the songs that aren't free you'll only be able to watch the preview. The other parts of the lesson will give you the generic "hey if you're interested in this lesson..." video asking you to sign up.

--
Steve

BobR

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 am

Steve,

This is great. When do you have the time :)

Bob

sbutler

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 am

Steve, this is GREAT. There are so many parts to TG.com that I never ever look at, but I've always wanted a better search engine for lessons. You've done it man, this is really cool.

Thanks for your generous gift. I hope it stays compatible with, and doesn't interfere with what the mice in the basement are trying to rebuild.

Scott

willem

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 am

Steve Fantastic,,I only typed James and they were rolling very quick..did you sleep last night?? super..

W.

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 am

Steve Wrote:
The search is available to everyone. In fact one of the tags you can search for is "free lesson". If you're not a member then when you go any of the songs that aren't free you'll only be able to watch the preview. The other parts of the lesson will give you the generic "hey if you're interested in this lesson..." video asking you to sign up.
Steve, I thought I'd logged out but hadn't.
I see what you mean, the "hey if you're interested in this lesson..." is available.

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic