Pre-1898 Martin Acoustic with a original wooden case.

sbutler

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey Ya'll, yesterday, while looking at an auction house website (looking for remote land) I found something pretty interesting. Coming up, March 28th, I believe, they are having and estate sale for some family out in the country. The item on the list that really caught my eye, is an antique Martin Guitar. The only description given, is pre 1898 Martin in a wooden case. So I was wondering if anyone here would know what that kind of guitar is worth?

My wife and I are going on a trip during that time, and I won't be able to attend the auction, however Its really got me wondering if I should leave a reserve bid. Any thoughts, anyone?

Scott

tgjameela

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Scott,

Gotta move this thread to new location, hope you don't mind.

Thanks!
Jameela

auntlynnie

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Scott,
I have a friend who has one and would likely know.
Send me an email and I'll put you in touch with him.
Lynn

sbutler

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Scott,
I have a friend who has one and would likely know.
Send me an email and I'll put you in touch with him.
Lynn
Lynn, I tried, but I can't seem to get the message sender to work. Scott

tgjameela

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Really sorry that we haven't gotten the PM feature to work from the forum yet, I know it's been down for a bit and has been sitting on the back burner...for a while.

As a temporary work-around you can send messages through TG directly from your profile page. On the profile page there is a little mail icon next to friend invites, click that to access your inbox, then hit "Write" fill in your message details and hit send.

I know it's a bit inconvenient having to navigate to the profile instead of using the forum link, but it should work.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks!
Jameela

wiley

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 am

sbutler

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 pm

wiley wrote:
It's called a "Pre-1898" due to the fact Martin began putting serial numbers on their pieces around that time and not before so.....

Martin began production around 1833 and through 1920 or so, they built small bodied (Parlor Size) and gut string as per the norm then. It is a general consensus that pre- 1930 Martin's are not braced for steel strings although some argue that certain models were available mid - late 1920.

Most desirable and therefore most valuable are the 'pre-war' steel strings (000s, OMs, Ds), 1930 > 1941 or so. The first 14 fret "D" (dreadnaught) were in 1931. George Gruhn (of Gruhn's Guitars - Nashville) has a prototype (one of the first five ever built) of either a D-28 or D-18 and it's value is (subject to the times and desire of a collector) somewhere around half million or so, he had been offered one and a half million for it.

So, pre 1898 leaves many a question unanswered due to the need for someone who has a way to verify the piece really is even a "CF Martin" product.

Don't look at me though, I recently gave $175us for a 1978 "Fred Nance" without verification. It had been 're-finished', with a bucket of varnish and a brush!
Thanks Wiley.

thereshopeyet

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Click To Enlarge

Those Beatles tunes live forever !

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic