New Approach To Requesting Lessons

TGNeil

Wed May 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Gang,

I really liked Marc's approach to lobby for a lesson on I Heard It Through The Grapevine and decided to try a new way of getting requests on the table, although some old-timers may remember that this is how we started the mechanism in the early days. For many years the Recommend A Lesson area gave us good ideas and feedback on what you wanted but I think it has run its course. The new Forum is down the categories page a bit, under TG Discussions And Information.

What I'd really like to see and hear about in the Request A Lesson list is more details about why a song would make a good lesson, interesting techniques, unusual sounds, altered tuning, etc., with video(s) embedded showing some examples. In other words, make a strong case for what the TG Community might get out of your request, particularly anything that may not be similar to many other songs.

This should not have to be limited to songs, as it could include techniques (tremolo in Recuerdos De La Alhambra), areas of theory we may not have addressed (altered modes only used by John McLaughlin), or really any aspect of music you might like to have more info on.

Help us out with getting this rolling let the discussions begin!

Neil

Request A Lesson Forum

drfuji

Wed May 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Glad to see this! I believe this could generate a renewed interest in the sight! Thanks...

TGNeil

Wed May 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi and thanks for the vote of confidence. Some of the things I liked about the Grapevine request were the comments and videos that followed it. It definitely got me working on the song, as you may have noticed in last week's News.

Neil

Lavallee

Fri May 08, 2015 6:47 am

Hi Neil, thank you for considering my request. Asking for a specific technique is a good angle. The recommend a lesson section is easy to loose track of what is requested as when it falls in the second page, it becomes less visible.It would help for the vote if there was a way to list the songs so that more songs are visible in a page (like just showing the title and the artist being linked to another area where there would be more space to view the specific request as this is what takes the most area in a page)

In your response you mention:

The new Forum is down the categories page a bit, under TG Discussions And Information.

I cannot find the section you are referring to. Does it mean it will not be on the left side Master menu?

Thank you Neil, this opportunity to be able to suggest songs that ends up in the lessons is an important feature of this site making it interactive

Marc

TGNeil

Fri May 08, 2015 8:16 am

Lavallee wrote:
In your response you mention:

The new Forum is down the categories page a bit, under TG Discussions And Information.

I cannot find the section you are referring to. Does it mean it will not be on the left side Master menu?

Thank you Neil, this opportunity to be able to suggest songs that ends up in the lessons is an important feature of this site making it interactive

Marc
Hi Marc,

Not on the left menu, under the Main Forum menu across the top. There are different sections:

New Stuff On The Site
TG Discussions And Information
Let's Talk Theory
TARGET Members Only...

Each of those has multiple sub sections.

I hope that helps.

By the way, did you get started with the tips on last week's News about Grapevine?

Neil

Lavallee

Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 pm

I found it thanks Neil,

I pretty much got every thing last week except the the very last section sung by the girls the hooooo section. I just arrived home from a week trip and I am working on it

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic