A Visit with Neil!

Craig

Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Fellow TG'ers!

I wanted to share with all of you my experience from this past weekend.

My daughter had a beach volleyball tournament in Los Gatos, California which is also the home of TG Central. I got in touch with Neil and let him know I was in town and I was hoping to be able to meet him in person. Of course I wasn't really expecting too much knowing that he was just coming off of knee reconstruction surgery and figuring visitors was probably the last thing he needed or wanted. But, Neil being Neil, said absolutely, lets get together. So, I stopped by and got to meet my guru, mentor, and guitar hero in person, along with his wonderful wife, Nani, daughters, and of course the cat, Potsticker!

We talked for about an hour about a lot of subjects, mostly family and life in general. Then we went out to the "head quarters" where the weekly news and FOTW segments are recorded which was very cool.

I know all of you campers already know, but wow, what genuine, great people Neil and Nani are. I felt so welcome in their home.

Neil's knee is pretty swollen although he said it had actually gone down somewhat in the last day or so. It is various shades of purple from his upper thigh to his ankle but he could get around OK leaning on his "good knee" and the use of a walker.

Neil and TG have been such a big part of my life that it was awesome to be able to meet him, shake his hand and tell him that in person!

After hugs and goodbyes, my visit ended with Potsticker walking me out to my car!

Craig Image

TGNesh

Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Wow.....that is just so awesome!!! :cheer: And what a great picture!

I was of course super curious if the visit would happen and hearing a report, including a few updates on Neil.

I couldn't agree more, he and Nani are fabulous people. Many thanks for sharing your visit at their place with us all! :) :)

Ness

familyman4

Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Fabulous! I am sure Neil appreciated you stopping by to visit for a while!

You didn't mention playing the guitar but I hope you got a few songs thrown in the visit as well?

BTW, you look a bit out of sorts without holding the KOA Taylor :)

Bart

Craig

Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Bart,

I actually got a little nervous holding Neil's guitar! :laugh:

We didn't do any lesson type of stuff since that would have been a little too much for Neil to sit in that position for very long. He just "machoed up" long enough for Nani to take a couple pictures.

Craig

wrsomers

Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 pm

This is so wonderful to see. First...Neil! you look great! I've had several friends who have undergone knee replacement surgery and none of them looked as good as you do in such a short time. Nonetheless, I know how tough any surgery can be, I'm just so glad to see you sitting there and smiling. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I only wish I were coming to IGC this year to see you walking without discomfort. I'm sure you will be climbing onstage without a problem come August. :)

Craig, thanks for posting this. I can only imagine how scary (and nice) it must have felt to hold that fabulous instrument.

Bill

BobR

Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Craig,
Thanks for sharing your visit with Neil and his family. As you said , they are so welcoming you soon feel like family. Neil it is great to see you doing so well :)

Bob

Craig

Mon May 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Bill,

Yes it was awesome to hold that guitar! I strummed a couple chords but it didn't sound quite the same as when Neil plays it! :laugh:

Craig ;)

michelew

Mon May 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Craig,

It's really cool that you made the journey and discovered that Neil, Nani, the rest of the Hogan family, and being able to visit TG Central, are even more wonderful in person.

What a fantastic picture. And holding Neil's beautiful guitar too.

I know what you mean about feeling a little strange when holding Neil's guitar. I was so awestruck when I first met Guru Hogan in person that I couldn't even remember how to fingerpicking a song I'd played a thousand times. :) he was incredibly sweet about that too. :) and yep my playing sounded just a little bit different from Neil. :)

Neil - it's nice to see you smiling and able to move around a little.

Awesome. Craig your smile says it all.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 10, 2017 3:50 am

That is so cool Craig, nice move :)

Great to see the two of you.... amazing that Neil is moving around like that already, great news!

auntlynnie

Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Craig,
That is sooooo cool!
Glad you got to meet Neil and spend some time with him and the family.
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic