Health Update October 18, 2019

TGNeil

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi Gang,

Well, a lot has changed since the short updates I gave you over the last week. It turns out that I have a staph infection in my rebuilt knee and have been in the hospital for a couple days. I saw the doctor Wednesday morning. He drew out some fluid which tested positive for infection and told me to be at the hospital at 3:00 with surgery scheduled for 5:00.

He went in, irrigated the joint and removed as much bacteria as possible and told me we had to wait a couple days for a blood culture to pinpoint the specific strain in order to treat it with the right antibiotic..

It is Friday afternoon as I write this and I am going home this evening, where I will be on IV antibiotics twice a day for 6 weeks, followed by 3-6 months of oral ones. The prognosis is really good, and it is a good thing we got on this so quickly.

I am not sure how long it will take to get back into lessons and in front of the camera, but I will try to keep you informed as things develop.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Gosh, Neil

That sounds nasty !

Be well soon

Dermot

:)

daryl

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Wow. Glad you went to see the doctor. Who knows what would have happened if you waited it out. :-(
Rest and get well.

michelew

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Gosh Neil. You poor thing that sounds terrible.

I’m so glad you know what’s happening and you’re being treated.

Sending my love. Thinking of you and hoping for a good and speedy recovery.

Michele

mweston

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Wow! Really sorry to hear about this. Barely time to recover from camp and then you get hit by an infection from hell! Sounds really nasty. Hope you make a speedy recovery!

(Now for the important question: Are you allowed to drink wine while on the IV? :) )

Marc

BobR

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Glad you got on top of it quickly and got a good prognosis.

Bob

sandysue

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you Neil for updating us on your progress. I know we’ve all been worried about you and hoping that the doctors would come to a quick and easy solution for your knee infection. It sounds like you may be looking at a somewhat lengthy treatment period but the prognosis for recovery sounds really good, so all in all that is good news. :) :)

dekotaj

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:44 pm

The best to you Neil and your family. Take care.
Kevin

Rbinding

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Neil,
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope the speedy diagnosis and treatment will help get you back to health soon. It is a long course of antibiotics to make sure it is cleaned up and doesn't recur. Good luck, Best wishes, and we're all pulling for a complete recovery!
Ron

LisaC

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 am

Hey Neil,

I'm glad your prognosis is good. Sounds like you'll be getting a much needed break. Looking forward to your return! I'll be in touch to re-schedule our next lesson.

Take care,
Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic