Catching Up On The 2020 Hummingbird Story

TGNeil

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 am

Hey Gang,
Last year we had a fun time keeping tabs on our hummingbird family and I dropped the ball with finishing the video story. Well a new nest is under construction in the same awning, which reminded me I was remiss in completing the project. Here are Parts 4 and 5, with some notes, followed by the earlier if you want to revisit them.

Neil

Part 1

Part 2

And a short clip compiled from Parts 1 & 2

Part 3 in our saga starts on Tuesday April 14 with more of mom coming by to feed the babies and them working out their wings a little more. Some serious flapping happens around 12:00. We wrap this segment up on Wednesday April 15 and it seems like they are getting too big for the nest. Somehow, they have not pushed each other out yet.

Part 4 takes us to Thursday and Friday, April 16-17. They are almost getting a little air and still competing for space, standing on the edge of the nest much of the time. Mama still comes by a couple times an hour with food, but we will not have them around much longer.

Our last day started like all the earlier ones but around 11:30 one was gone, before I had the camera running. It wasn’t long before she returned but it took a little while to recover enough to get back near the nest. They were making some interesting calls, possibly for Mama.
Be sure to check out the balancing act around 6:30. Short flight around 9:00. At 11:00 we have a longer test flight and one worried sibling.

It was only a few minutes until the two of them took off for a nearby tree and we never saw them again. Although they may be any of the regulars who now visit our feeders.

Oddly enough, Mrs. C. came back for a couple short housecleaning trips over the next 20 minutes.

And now, it is February 2021, and the nest is still intact under our awning. I wondered if she might ever use it again. Apparently not because another one is under construction right now in a different corner of the frame. Maybe we are soon to be grandparents of the next generation.

TGNesh

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:35 am

I absolutely love this!!!

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Attachments
Humming Bird.gif
Humming Bird.gif (1.51 MiB) Viewed 24042 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic