Poll: Calling all bass players: How hard is it for someone that plays the guitar to play the bass?

michelew

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:02 am

Nessa,

I'm sure you could play a rubber band and make it sound cool. :)

But, there's no doubt about it, that all sounded GREAT and now I really can't wait to get myself a bass.

Yep I think that aan coustic bass is the way to go after all. If I stick with it I can always enter the electric world down the track.

Thanks SO much. You've made my night, sweet woman. I have a huge smile on my face and I feel excited like a little kid at the possibilities. Well I've got a few extra must learn songs and it's all your fault.

VERY COOOOOOOOL that's my verdict.

Thank you!

Shel

suziko

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 am

Nessa,

What a super fun video!! And you've certainly convinced me: bass guitars are very cool. :) I loved that last song you played and it sounded so familiar but I can't remember what it is- can you tell me the name?

Suzi

michelew

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:25 pm

:) :)

Scott: Brand/make, good question, I had to look it up. The brand is Motion B-08 and it was not really a cheap one, around €465 and it still is kinda that same price. I had tried out several ones, before deciding to go for this one, so for an acoustic bassguitar, it really sounds very good! However, it apparently has a solid spruce wood top, and rosewood sides. Anyway, thanks Scott, glad you appreciated it as well!

Michele: Aaaaah, so you can't wait to get yourself one?? :cheer: Well I can't wait to see you play one either! You'll find it very COOL indeed. Very glad I got you even more excited for it, so let us know about your search for one, alright??! All mý fault??? :P

Suzi: Thanks so much Sue, great to hear you thought it was a fun video and that it convinced you! :cheer: You should try one someday! ;) Oh, the last song, well indeed, yóu should know, and Cori as well! It was Lovesong from the Cure, very cool bass-part in there, and such a workout as well. :S Will play it at this wedding soon, can't afford any slip-ups with that one, it's quite the platform of the song, but it's really fun to play!

:)

Nessa

suziko

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Lovesong from the Cure

(Smacks forehead)..... Of course!!!!

tovo

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Nice playing Ness.

Check out this cool bass player. That's the stuff:

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:14 am

Hahahaha!I almost feel for the guy... OMG, what a ...........hahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alright, noted, not gonna try that in a million years!!! :P

tovo wrote:
Nice playing Ness.

Check out this cool bass player. That's the stuff:

michelew

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 am

OMG! Nearly a prime candidate for the Darwin awards. The silly bastard is lucky he didn't decapitate himself.

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:44 am

Hey everyone,

I thought I’d share the beginning of my adventure into the land of bass playing with you. Here's a link to a video I just uploaded.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... t=20#90587

Yep, I though I'd better get myself a bass and start learning this thing if I'd like to play it. Well I scoured every store in Sydney that sells acoustic basses I reckon. I finally purchased this one from 'The Bass People". Great shop and really sweet guys. This is a Tanglewood TW155A Bass and I really like the sound.

Well I've got a mountain of stuff to learn. It's trickier than it looks and easier in some respects too. I definitely feel like a baby skill wise, but I'm giving it a go and having fun.

I'm finding lots of challenges, even holding it correctly has been something my brain has needed (and is still) adjusting to. I was trying to hold it in classical position. Apparently it’s not a cello - or a big arse guitar, but I was trying to play it like one. And I had it on my left leg. Trying to change to the right one...well it hurt my brain. I had to use a stool to make it work. I have been working on lowering the neck and generally succeeding more than I am here (camera nerves) and relaxing my hands more. And changing the way my fingers strike the strings has even been tricky. It will come I’m assuming. Timing, ha! Who knew it was so tricky. :) So lots to learn, but I've started. And it's forcing me to relax which can't be a bad thing right?

I've also discovered that basses are a bit feisty and don't get on so well ceiling fans. Oops. :)

Anyway, this is me starting my bass adventure. It’s definitely been fun. Just playing root notes has even been fun. I really have no idea what I’m doing, but I’m a ‘learning by doing’ person. It may not look like it, but I am enjoying myself.

Woo hoo!

Michele

daryl

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:38 am

How very exciting! I'm looking forward to many more multitrack videos from you in the future. You are an inspiration.

dsmarion

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:43 am

michelew wrote:
I've also discovered that basses are a bit feisty and don't get on so well ceiling fans. Oops. :)
Ha! I discovered that years ago with my pool cues in places where they had low ceiling fans. Bb-b-b-b-t-t-t-t-t--dd-d-d-d-d-d-d-t-t-t-t!!!! Not good!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic