Trouble picking during Pentatonic scales

Iagent

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi, I am a beginner guitarist, learning on a Yamaha Steel string Silent guitar. I am having a terrible time with picking the wrong strings while practicing my pentatonic scales. I have been working in the key of A. Would anyone out there happen to know of some way to more accurately find those strings. It seems that I get one then miss one, then get one then miss one (like I drop a string) and this is really getting me frustrated.

rcsnydley

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Unfortunately there is no magic elixir to take to help with this. If there was I would have finished the bottle. It take practice and time and practice. Don't try to do it too fast, start slow until you can hit them more reliably then start to speed it up, slowly. Practice. As you work through it try not to look at the strings to much, you may need to some at first to keep orientated, but try to get you hands and fingers to memorize where to be, this is called muscle memory. Oh and did I mention practice. I'd wish you good luck, but I think with time, patience and practice you won't need luck.

ffsooo3

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:43 pm

How about starting with just one string and hitting the 2 notes on the one string until you're comfortable. Then add 1 note from the next string so you have 3 notes to play with until successful/comfortable. Play the 3 notes in various combinations (ie. 112 113 221 223 123 132 231 213 etc.) Then move on to include 4 notes on 2 strings.....

Iagent

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Okay, thanks, I will keep practicing the way I have been as it sounds like I'm on the right track. It just gets frustrating sometimes.

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:26 am

Mostly already said but what worked for me and still does is practice practice practice, one string at a time backwards then forwards, get the muscle memory working!

stumax

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am

i agree with all above but dont forget to alternate up and down strokes.it will pay divdends as you get more advanced.

tgjameela

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Are you flatpicking or fingerpicking? If you're using your fingers a bit of advice is: since you're only picking individual strings one at a time try just using your thumb and first finger (alternating between the two). It is simpler and easier to keep track of where you're at this way. A lot of great fingerpickers only use a thumb and finger (Doc Watson comes to mind). Other than that the advice others have given should help.

BigBear

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:59 am

All great advice but I'll add make sure you "anchor" your hand near the bridge. Some people let their right hand float and you'll never be a good picker if you do (unless you are extraordinarily talented). Also, if you make a habit of anchoring your right hand (of course, if you are right-handed) if you ever cross over to an electric guitar you'll be well served to employ "muting" in your playing, a very important skill.

As several people have suggested be sure to alternate pick the strings, especially playing scales. You'll be much quicker and more accurate. And of course, practice, practice, practice!!

Happy playin'

Fuiltua

Mon May 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Like everyone has said... take it slow, don't sweat the mistakes. Work in repeat notes and alternate the pickings.

Muscle memory is one of those things that takes a few thousand times. Then one day you're doing fine and don't realize it.

Also make sure your getting a good clean sound with your left hand.

It's not only picking the right strings with the right hand, you're also learning to place the fingers on the left at the same time. Kinda like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic