Another question about Pentatonic scales

rcsnydley

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 pm

If you download and open the two documents I attached in a previous post and compare them.
Let's start with the minor scale, this shows patterns 1-5. The blue colored note is the root note of the major scale and the red colored note is the root note of the minor scale. If you compare the major scale with the minor you will notice that minor pattern 1 is major pattern 5. This is because the relative minor is the sixth degree of the major or in this case three half steps lower. Are you totally confused yet?
Time for an example: look at the major scale document the second pattern is the major scale pattern 1, if we were in the key of C the blue 2 (the numbers are for which finger to use) would be the C at the eighth fret. Pattern #2 picks up where pattern #1 leaves of and so on. The first pattern or pattern #5 corresponds to the minor scale pattern #1 and we see that the red 1 is the A at fret five (Am is the relative minor of C).
So, in summation all five patterns are the same. Minor pattern #1 = Major pattern #5
Minor pattern #2 = Major pattern #1
Minor pattern #3 = Major pattern #2
Minor pattern #4 = Major pattern #3
Minor pattern #5 = Major pattern #4
And visa-versa. So is everything clear as mud now?

Keep Playing
Ric

ffsooo3

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:07 pm

OK...Patterns VI, I, II, III, and V are somehow related to the 5 notes in the pentatonic scale (root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th) but WHY????

rcsnydley

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 pm

If I understand your question correctly, the pentatonic scale has only five notes, hence penta. It leaves off the 4th and 7th degrees because they are only a half step from the previous note.
The different patterns are how to play the notes of the particular key you are playing in. The patterns move up the neck so as you learn each successive pattern you can play the scale in more places. As noted earlier the higher sounding notes of the current pattern are the lower sounding notes of the next pattern, i.e. pattern #1's higher notes are pattern #2's lower notes. Also, as usual, as patterns and hence notes reach the 12th fret they not only continue up the neck but they also wrap around to the nut, i.e. pattern #3 in the key of Cmaj starts on the 12th fret so, that means pattern #3 also starts at the nut.

Iagent

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 pm

WOW, Thanks!
I think I see what's going on. It's actually a map to the notes linking each other along the board, Right? I will have to learn each key.

rcsnydley

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Yes, I think you have it. Whatever key you want to play in just start at that note on the fretboard with pattern #1. The patterns move with the key, i.e. if you are playing in Cmaj, pattern #1 starts on fret 8 of the sixth string, if you are playing in Gmaj, then pattern #1 starts on fret 3 of the sixth string, and so forth.
It works the same for the minor keys.
A couple of interesting notes: if you wrap around the patterns at the twelfth fret then pattern #5 will end where you started with pattern #1. Also, if you compare the major and minor patterns you will see that when you are playing major pattern #5 you are also playing minor pattern #1, so the fact is there are only five patterns for both the major and minor scales it's really just where you start from (which note is your root).
Just download and print out the two files I attached in an earlier post and keep them handy for reference.

Keep Playing
Ric

Iagent

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 pm

One question though. Why do the Major scales and the Minor scales look the same? Is that right?

rcsnydley

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Yes, that is right. Consider, the relative minor of a major key is 3 semitones or in guitarspeak three frets lower. Thus, the Cmaj pattern #1 starts on the 8th fret its relative minor, Am, pattern #1 starts three frets lower or the 5th fret. Since the notes in a major scale and its relative minor are the same the patterns are the same only shifted by three frets.
I hope this makes sense, if not let me know and we'll give it another try.

Keep Playing
Ric

Iagent

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Okay, that does make sense. I think at this time it's just practice practice practice. I don't have a clue how the imprvising stuff works, but I figure if I just learn these patterns forward and backward, It can't help but make it all make sense later on.
I also wish I could get my guitar to sound that way when he plays those chords. I sure have a lot to learn.
One more thing. I really do appreciate your help. It probably gets frustrating when people like myself are so overwhelmed. I should be taking lessons, but with kids headed for college, and my youngest in lessons already,(he's 10 Good time to start) I need to try to learn as much as possible on my own and then take lessons eventually.

rcsnydley

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 pm

I learn as I teach. In order to write out a concise and clear explanation I really need to make sure I understand it and am confident in my understanding. So, I should be saying thank you for giving me the opportunity to delve into it enough to explain it to someone else.
Also, as far as solo/improvisation goes sure you need to know the scales, but soloing is not scales that is when your own creativity comes in play.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 am

I'll have a go at posting one of my handouts I give my club members

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic