Another question about Pentatonic scales

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:46 am

Dang 185KB too big can only zip it to 156KB still too big try doing it two pages

Jeeps 123KB 3 KB too big try again lol Ok in three posts http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... _1___2.doc

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:56 am

Iagent

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:49 am

Could I ask one more question?

Should I be practicing my pentatonic scales with alternating picking strokes? Until now, I have been using down strokes, but I have found that it will be hard to increase my speed very much, so I am now trying alternate picking, but I miss the right strings a lot now. What would you recommend.

rcsnydley

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:04 am

I think you should practice scales using alternating picking. It's a good way to get used to using it and as you continue to practice it the missed strings will be fewer and fewer.
With that being said, when you work out solo parts you should do what you do whenever you are working out a part whether it be single notes or chords and that is to look for the most economical way to play it. Consider where your hand and fingers need to be next and play it so you have the least amount of movement. If a downstroke takes you right to the next string to be played then use the downstroke, unless there is some musical reason to use an upstroke. If that means two downstrokes or two upstrokes then so be it. But, it is still good to get used to being able to do the alternate picking.

Keep Playing
Ric

Iagent

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, then, that's what I will be doing from now on then. Alternate picking. One other problem that I have been having is with my E chord, because I seem to be muting my B string. I have never noticed this before, but much of my practice had been with a Yamaha Silent steel string, and it's set up like an acoustic. I think with this Strstocaster I have been using, I touch that B string just a little. I just wonder how someone with thick fingers can avoid string muting when forming chords, because I have trouble and my fingers are pretty skinny.

ffsooo3

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 am

Not sure if I should be starting a new thread or not....Anyway...my question is: What pentatonic scale should I be playing in with a I IV V7 song in A major (A D E7) and why? If I play an A major (aka F# minor) pentatonic scale the 5 notes are A B C# E F#. But if I play a C major (aka A minor) pentatonic the 5 notes are C D E G A. The C-major/A-minor scale contains the A D E notes while the A-major/F#-minor only has the A and E (plus it has the C# that will clash with the D). Please enlighten me!

rcsnydley

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 am

ffsooo - since this chord progression is in the key of A major the logical place to start would be with the A maj. pentatonic scale. Of course you could also use the F# min. scale as it contains the same notes. The difference is the tonal center, the A maj. scale is centered on the A where as the F# min. is centered on the F#. Both legitimate scales, but a different feel.
You could also be daring and explore some of the modes. They are sort of like what we talked about above, ie. same notes different starting point and tonal center.
Hope this helps.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:25 pm

Karma- you are my new hero for taking on this subject via internet! Great posts so far!!

One thing that no one has mentioned (at least that I saw), and maybe it's too obvious, but in the very first video when you rearrange the notes in the title you get CAGED which is another way to understand the interrelationahip of the various keys and especially patterns. If you look up "CAGED System" on the WWW you can find a wealth of info to further your guitar studies.

I've played guitar for over 40 years and I didn't understand the fretboard. Never learned. But the CAGED system makes some sense to me and I'm getting better. Pentatonic scales are part of the journey.

Playing the guitar is like playing golf. It's a journey and not a destination!! You can always get better!!

ffsooo3

Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm confused. I hope someone can enlighten me. In The Webinar Video Episode1 Part10 Neil was jamming in A major (A D7 E7 - I IV V) yet was playing an A MINOR pentatonic scale. Can someone explain why you wouldn't play an A MAJOR (or F# minor) pentatonic scale as that IS the key of the I IV V progression they were playing. Thanks. :S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic