New Strings

hankintexas

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:01 pm

I am getting ready to replace the strings on my Takamine. I was wondering what strings others like the best and why they like them?

rcsnydley

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Hank - there are a couple of things to keep in mind when buying strings. One is what gauge or thickness, i.e. high E - .10 = ultra lights, .11 = custom lights, .12 = lights, etc. You need to know what's on the guitar now, because you don't want to go up or down on gauge more than one level or you may need to have your truss rod adjusted.
With that being said, there are several nice brands out there and asking at your local music store is one way to find out what they recommend. Good brands include but are not be limited to, Elixir, Martin and D'Addario.

Keep Playing
Ric

chris_25411

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:47 am

martin lights

perfectinglife

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am

I have what may be an obvious questions, but when do you know you need to change strings?

hankintexas

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:44 am

I put the D'Addario on, they are ok... I think they may take a while to get used to. I was playing the Martin. Maybe its just the color of the strings that are distracting me?

rcsnydley

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:04 pm

As to when to change strings. That is the eternal question. Some musicians change strings daily if not more often. Some, on the other hand, wait months.
There are, however, some factors to take into account. First, how much do you play, and even do you wash your hands before you play and do you wipe off the strings after you play? Naturally, the more you play the sooner your strings will corrode, wear out and sound dead. Second, how often can you afford to change strings. Though strings may not be a huge monetary burden, if you change your strings often the cost can still mount up. Third, how does the set of strings you have on there now sound? This one can be kind of difficult since they deteriorate over time sometimes it is hard to tell how bad they sound until you change them.
So, as you can see there is no hard and fast rule. Perhaps, the best thing to do is get yourself on a schedule. Once again, no hard and fast rule whatever sounds good and works well with your playing time and budget.
So, now that we've cleared that up.:laugh:

Keep Playing
Ric

rcsnydley

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 pm

You know hank I think the thing to do is try some different brands and when you find some you like stick with them.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chuck McGourty

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:39 pm

I use Cleartone (coated) light gauge acoustic on a Martin D18. The Martin company recommends Martin Acoustic Light's but the Cleartones sound better and last longer. They're pricey but you can order them on-line from Musician's Friend for around $11.00.

s2welee

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Perhaps this should be a new thread, but it relates to the first response. What if you have no idea what the original strings from the factory were (very old guitar, second hand guitar)? is it just trial and error until you find the right ones? For example, my yamaha had lights, so I continue with lights. my Guild, from the mid 60s hates the lights. It is buzzy. Should I keep going heavier until I find the right combo or should I go to a luthier and have him/her figure it out.

I am sure that I am not the only one confused by the old guitar new strings question.

rcsnydley

Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:11 am

s2welee, you may not need to go to a luthier. Perhaps, someone at your local music store can tell you what is on there. I think the only reason to go to a luthier is if you make a drastic change in string guage, because then you may need to have your truss rod adjusted.
However, if the guitar is that old and has not been played for a while you may want to take it in to have the neck assessed to see if it needs any adjustments.

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic