Not the Obvious

John K

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm

I like Dave Alvin.
I also like Clint Black.

Petex

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:59 pm

I admire Robbie Robertson a lot because he is so focussed on supporting and enhancing the song with his minimalist playing rather than just showing off like some guitar gods do. Besides Clapton thinks that Robbie is a great player - pretty good reference. I also like Lennie Breau who died way too soon from the ravages of the road and his personal demons. He was an eclectic jazz player who used a combination of Atkins and Travis fingerpicking and flamenco style to great effect. I also like Charlie Christian from the old school and of course Wes Montgomery.

addictedtoguitar

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm

My favorite guitar player is Jimi Hendrix. He is by far one of the best guitarist to ever play. I also like Slash and Jimi Page.

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Another guitarist who rates a mention and I suppose not obvious is Peter Green from the original Fleetwood Mac line up, also of the same era of the band is Jeremy Spencer.

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Petex wrote:
I admire Robbie Robertson a lot because he is so focussed on supporting and enhancing the song with his minimalist playing rather than just showing off like some guitar gods do. Besides Clapton thinks that Robbie is a great player - pretty good reference. I also like Lennie Breau who died way too soon from the ravages of the road and his personal demons. He was an eclectic jazz player who used a combination of Atkins and Travis fingerpicking and flamenco style to great effect. I also like Charlie Christian from the old school and of course Wes Montgomery.
I recently got the 'Last Waltz' DVD and I must admit Robertson is under rated. And is worthy of being mentioned

Dave2512

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm

You forgot Danny Kirwan. More often than not the great guitar playing on classic Mac albums, like Then Play On, came from Kirwan's hands. He was a true master, sad what happened to him.

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Dave2512 wrote:
You forgot Danny Kirwan. More often than not the great guitar playing on classic Mac albums, like Then Play On, came from Kirwan's hands. He was a true master, sad what happened to him.
Very true I had forgotten about Danny, his work with Fleetwood was often overshadowed by Spencer and Green. His single which received high acclaim from Green should have been a bigger hit than it was

Dave2512

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:32 pm

As much as I like the PG era Mac my fave albums are the ones after he left, Kiln House, Future Games and Bare Trees. Danny and Peter made a good team, there are several clips on PG's FM on youtube.

Whammy

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am

Not an obvious one - but a huge influence on me.

John Fogerty!

As far as my other favorite guitarists they include Al DiMeola, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Herring, Jeff Murphy (of The Bitters in Las Vegas), and so many more.

AndyT

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 am

Let's not forget Pete Ham. While he may not have been 'Great', he had the ability to move you with his music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic