Guitarist beyond description

paullennon

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:23 pm

George Harrison was defenitely underrated, but Jimi Hendrix was the best. Pete Townshead was also very good.

1ststeven

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Everyone has their own favorites/opinions of course, but what about these folks do you like?

ffsooo3

Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Great question. Why do you like a particular guitar player? My player of choice (or should I say awe) is Tommy Emmanuel. Why? He does flat-picking, thumb-picking, and hybrid-picking with ease and eloquence. He plays beautiful harmonics. He has complete control and mastery of his guitar (a Maton). He plays bass, rhythm, melody, AND percussion ALL AT THE SAME TIME (check out his cover of Blue Moon). He writes beautiful melodic songs (check out his Angelina). He has a wonderful stage presence. He truly enjoys playing for people. His performances never appear to be a stuggle; or that he is lost in concentration and NOT in the moment. I could go on and on about him. I only hope that people on this forum will check him out for themselves and make their own decision. I know a couple have already.

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Tommy Emmanuel is undoubtedly a talented musician, check out his brother he is also a great player in a similar style

Dean O

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:42 am

Over the years I've seen most all the great players, with the exception of Hendrix. I did not see him. But the fastest guy with best intonation I ever saw was Dave Mustane. I never was a big Megadeth fan, but out of all of them he was the fastest.

ltbw038

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 am

Some great players mentioned here,I'm suprised no one has named Eric Johnson, or Robert Fripp.

hobbster01

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Tommy Emmanuel is a genius.
Monte Montgomery is great also.
http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDl-uIn1KMI

richardk

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:03 am

Eric Johnson is truly great. I've always loved his music but now that I've tried to play one of his songs myself, I can appreciate him even more. To execute it is one thing, to come up with it another.

shytalk

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Don't forget Gary Moore - severely underrated

AndyT

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 am

Pete Ham. Very emotional player.
Flat and Scruggs. Some of the worlds best flat picking ever.
Chet Atkins. Innovative picking style.
Tommy Emmanuel. A true Master. At home with any style.
Roy Clark. Another master at home in any style.
George Harrison. The man could string some notes together that just make you cry.
Don Felder. He just loves it so much you can hear it in his playing.
Clapton. What needs to be said?

Herschel Crum. No, you never heard of him. My grandfather. A country pickin' preacher that let his heart show through his music. A most important characteristic in a master at anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic