Guitarist beyond description

hutz13

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

I'll mention a couple of guys revered by other guitarists and both died too soon:

Roy Buchannan
Danny Gatton

Tuck Andress is a killer fingerstyle played as well, Canadian jazz master Lenny Breau, who Chet Atkins thought was a true genius. John Mclaughlin from Mahavishnu and Miles is scary fast ... so many

NoisyNeighbor

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Jerry Raney, may not be the best....but he certainly can play, and Joey is no slouch either. Andy McKee is incredible!

mrbolde

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 am

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Eddie Van Halen. The man can play. A couple of other faves would be Randy Rhodes, and Carlos Santana. Another one that really surprised me Charro. The hoochie coohie girl. She is an awesome guitar player, probably one of the greatest female player I have ever seen.

micke1967

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:43 am

Hi All
I saw Tommy Emanuel in January live and he indeed is amazing.
Right now Im looking forward to go and see Hank Marvin with his Shadows and Cliff Richard in November in Malmoe Sweden.
Dont know if you heard so much of the Shadows on the other side of the great ocean but around here they really set the standards for so called "surfguitar" during the 60s...
In the US I guess the Ventures had that role to play.
Anyway Hank Marvin isnt the fastest player in the world but he sure developed his own style and many followed in his tracks so he is a favourite...

Other younger people might be Jimmy Page who is a personal favourite...
One I just found on youtube is LLoyd Spiegel, I love blues and he really does it for me..great artist and Im surprised I havent heard more of him....

And when it comes to blues...check out Seasick Steve if you havent already...
I never heard anyone playing a crap guitar with only 3 strings left and still sounded so bluesy...
They sure can breed them blues guys in the south of US...
Bye for now, signing of
Micael from Sweden;)

Guitarmom

Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 pm

My favorites cross multiple genres...

Andres Segovia
Christopher Parkening
Chet Atkins
Doyle Dykes
Tommy Emmanuel
Eric Clapton
John Michael Talbot (especially "Come to the Quiet" Album)

Jimmer

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Too many to mention... but if I must :-)

* Chet Atkins - 'father' of fingerstyle in my opinion

* Tommy Emmannuel - one of the 'purest' most natural guitarists I've ever seen - a true genius.

* Andy McKee - catch him on youtube (look for 'Drifting'). The guitar as both a stringed and a percussive instrument... :-)

* Doyle Dykes - Another pure player, inspired by Chet, but his own style is amazing. He came to town here in Omaha as a rep and 'technician' for the Taylor guitar company. GREAT player and a really nice guy.

* James Taylor - he taught me to play back in the '70s - he just doesn't know it :-)

* Segovia - I was PRIVILEGED to hear one of his last performances at the Barbican Center in London in 1982-83?. I watched them lead this bent, shriveled old man to the stage, watched them place the signature 'purple pillow' under his foot, then watched slack-jawed, for the next two hours as this guitar genius made incredible music.

* John Williams - another classical favorite that I saw 4-5 times at the Barbican when I was stationed in the UK in the early 80's. I especially remember being very amused when 'John newbies' first caught sight of him. After the proper English audience watched as the English Chamber Orchestra tuned up, there would be a collective gasp from the audience as John appeared - long hair, purple velour shirt... and a lawn chair... :-)

* Steve Wariner - a very pure (though presently retired) country player/singer

* Skip Ewing - mostly a studio musician and songwriter in Nashville, but a very good solo performer, as well. Brilliant guitar technique.

* and finally Glen Campbell - back at that time, 1968/1969, my Dad gave me his old brown box guitar. We never missed an episode of the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on Sunday nights. I didn't just want to play like Glen, I want to BE him... :-)

> Jimmer

mudfinger

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Leo Kottke... Can't believe no one's mentioned him yet

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm

I haven't read all the previous responses, but yeah, leaving out Kottke (one of my acoustic guitar idols) is a crime. My other acoustic guitar hero is John Renbourn. Neil actually turned me on to him many years ago. Bert Jansch should be there. John Fahey and Davy Graham are fingerstyle pioneers, although Fahey gets a little monotonous for me at times.

bigkidz

Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm

While there are so many guitar players that I copied in my life, each having a very distinct advantage or style, the guitar player that really opened my eyes and making me want to get to another level was Danny Gatton. Check out the Crusin' Dueces CD and let me know what you all think.

quincy451

Mon May 04, 2009 12:08 am

Yea Tommy Emmanuel is rock'n. I also like NAUDO for is depth of cover songs done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic