My Guitar

tovo

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Well, since it was taking Martin FOREVER to get my backpacker here, I got nervous and purchased a Baby Taylor all mahogany model to make sure I had something for my backpacking trip in two weeks. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with the tone. Feels funny holding the 3/4 scale guitar, but easy to get used to and a great size to lug around in the back country.

MJ
Yeah, if I had to buy another travel guitar I would go with something like a Baby Taylor. The Martin Backpacker, Vagabond (which I bought 16 years ago), and other mini-body travel guitars just don't have a good feel or sound in my opinion. I can't barely fingerpick my Vagabond as there's nothing to rest my right forearm on. What backcountry you going to?

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm

gingold wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Well, since it was taking Martin FOREVER to get my backpacker here, I got nervous and purchased a Baby Taylor all mahogany model to make sure I had something for my backpacking trip in two weeks. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with the tone. Feels funny holding the 3/4 scale guitar, but easy to get used to and a great size to lug around in the back country.

MJ
Yeah, if I had to buy another travel guitar I would go with something like a Baby Taylor. The Martin Backpacker, Vagabond (which I bought 16 years ago), and other mini-body travel guitars just don't have a good feel or sound in my opinion. I can't barely fingerpick my Vagabond as there's nothing to rest my right forearm on. What backcountry you going to?
I actually found a folding guitar in a music store in Santa Monica (McCabes Music - great store and great folks if you are ever in the neighborhood). It was full size, but hinged at the point where the neck connects to the body. The strings just fall into the sound hole and it packs neatly into a padded case. Very cool idea, but I have my reservations about how long it would stay solid. It played nicely, (for a righty - lol) but still a little on the big side.

Heading back to the East Side of the Sierras. This year we might try something over Morgan pass, but I am not certain yet. Every year we talk about trying a place we have not been yet, but it is hard to ignore some of the places we have been, considering the great times. The trail heading over Bishop pass and into the back country from there is amazing.

The Baby Taylor most certainly has a better tone that the Backpacker (IMO), but the Backpacker was still decent as long as you know what you are getting. The Baby Taylor has much better action though and a deeper tone. Plus you can actually rest it on your leg around the campfire at night and not have to have the strap on.

MJ

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 pm

AccousticAl wrote:
You know what they say...
You don't own the guitar-- the guitar owns YOU!!

(or guitars.. whichever the case:)
When I started this damned hobby of mine, I never imagined I could grow so fond of an instrument! Some of them are just so beautiful and play so nicely. Plus when you are actually learning to play something (thanks to everyone here for all their help in that category), you learn the subtle differences in brands and styles. That does not make the habit any easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sledge57

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Well since everyone seems to have acoustic guitars I felt left out, so I traded a Strat I had for this (haven't taken my own pics yet) A Guild GAD-25

What an awesome sounding guitar, I thought I liked the Martin I used to own, the Guild blows it away, imo anyway..........

sledge57

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Nice looking guitar--love the striped mahogany top. Out of curiosity, what Martin did you have before that the Guild "blows away"? Also, welcome to the world of acoustic guitar!

sledge57

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks, it was a Martin DR (rosewood back and side, I think) the Guild is just easier to play and being all mahogany it just sounds way different than the rosewood DR did.

My brother still has my old Martin and he likes the Guild better also, that Martin is still a nice guitar though, even if it is one of their cheaper guitars (like this GAD-25).

rcsnydley

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 am

The Guild also is solid wood top, back, and sides. The Martin DR is laminate back and sides.

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
gingold wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

MJ
I actually found a folding guitar in a music store in Santa Monica (McCabes Music - great store and great folks if you are ever in the neighborhood). It was full size, but hinged at the point where the neck connects to the body. The strings just fall into the sound hole and it packs neatly into a padded case. Very cool idea, but I have my reservations about how long it would stay solid. It played nicely, (for a righty - lol) but still a little on the big side.

Heading back to the East Side of the Sierras. This year we might try something over Morgan pass, but I am not certain yet. Every year we talk about trying a place we have not been yet, but it is hard to ignore some of the places we have been, considering the great times. The trail heading over Bishop pass and into the back country from there is amazing.

The Baby Taylor most certainly has a better tone that the Backpacker (IMO), but the Backpacker was still decent as long as you know what you are getting. The Baby Taylor has much better action though and a deeper tone. Plus you can actually rest it on your leg around the campfire at night and not have to have the strap on.

MJ
Here is the link for the folding guitar in case anybody is interested....

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... eview.aspx

MJ

haoli25

Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Guitarmom just purchased a Voyage-Air travel guitar.

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm

would be very interested in her take on the instrument......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic