Who Inspired You To Play

bigkidz

Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm

There are so many guitar players who inspired me to play. Main ones were duane and dicky, early clapton, santana, etc. I copied all of their licks at a very early age then moved on from there. Danny Gatton was the one who really knocked me out. He was also a very nice person as well.

Guitarmom

Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Like "rcsnydley" I was also inspired by the Beatles.
I was in High School in the 60's and other groups that caught my attention were, The Kingston Trio, The Limeliters, Mama's and Papa's, Chet Atkins, Glenn Yarborough, The Christy Minstrels, Bud and Travis and lots more. That was a REALLY fun time. Sitting with other kids on the lawn at lunch playing guitars and doing arrangements... mixing it up with new harmonies. GREAT times, wonderful memories and a positive learning experience.

Best,

Rev Kate

slparry

Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 pm

He didn't inspire me to play, but he sure has inspired me to work through my tough spots. I live near Minneapolis and many years ago saw Billy McLaughlin play at a small festival in our town. I loved his tap style of playing. I later learned, from a friend of mine that knows him well, that he developed a neuromuscular aliment that made him stop playing. All of a sudden, he just couldn't play. After a lot of therapy, he taught himself to switch from playing right handed to left handed. I just saw a PBS special on him playing. It was pretty inspirational.

bosco

Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi,

I would say that my biggest inspiration was Tommy Emmanuel. I also like the playing of Edgar Cruz. I played guitar as a teenager and was in a band, but hadn't played since about 1975. I recently purchased a guitar and am trying to pick it up again.

georgeharrisonjr

Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 pm

shoot, there are many great guitarist but the one who really got me into it was *drum rolls* George Harrison. he is the best. him and his music are mystical which greatly influenced me.

rcsnydley

Sun May 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Welcome to TotallyGuitars, georgejr. The Beatles inspired me back in the 60s and they continue to inspire me today. I am presently reading Mark Lewisohn's "The Beatle's Recording Sessions" (read it if you can) and listening to the songs as they are talked about in the book, including different takes of the songs. Very inspirational to me both as a guitar player and a songwriter.
Please, join The Beatles group, we would love to have you as a member and there is a wealth of info over there.

Keep Playing
Ric

allmanbros4life

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:14 am

i would have to say that jimmy page probably inspired me the most. although duane allman is my favorite guitarist, page probably inspired me the most.

jigkick

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Honestly, the guitar player that inspired me top start playing was my uncle. I grew up in a family where just about everybody could play an instrument. Growing up I spent a lot of time just hanging out and watching my uncle jam. He would play everything from Jimi Hendrix to Slayer and in between. He knew how to play just about everything I could think of. He was/is the type of musician that could hear something once or twice and be able to play it. His own songs rock too!

AndyT

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Hmmm... I thought I had posted on this one....

[Ramble On]

When I was a kid my family would get together and have backyard jams.
A BBQ Potluck and everyone plays or sings. That was my first greatest influence and inspiration. My grandfather used to lead the sessions on his guitar or fiddle. He was my hero. I wanted to jam just like him. He was the local Preacher also so I grew up on southern gospel. LOVED IT! The 'Down Home Jams' we call it. Those were some of my favorite times of life. Most sundays after church.

Of course, as I grew up, I loved the Beatles, Pink Floyd (my top 2), Benny Goodman, Freddie Mercury (not a guitarist but man can he sing), Randy Travis, and so many others that I'd have to list half the catalog to get them all on here.

Now I've come back to the church and am a Minister of the Guitar group. I keep telling all the students that I'm only 1 lesson ahead of them and they keep assuring me that its perfectly fine. Great bunch of people.

And that means that my current influences and inspirations are groups like, MercyMe, Brothers Keeper, Third Day, Tommy Emmanuel, Tommy Walker, Hillsong, Casting Crowns and again, so many others.

I just got back from visiting with a friend today and we were sitting on a park bench behind the school in the shade just playing stuff from our books. We both made thousands of mistakes, but we had great fun. And that's what makes it worthwhile to keep on playing.

[Ramble Off]

BigBear

Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Interesting question! For me, Paul Simon. In junior high the teacher played "Sounds of Silence". I'd never heard it before and I loved the wonderful Travis picking and the melody. I was hooked! Still am in fact!

Happy playin!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic