My Guitar

simonboy1

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm

nothing classy , i, have a Washburn D25 Great sound ,good action and a good looking guitar

KennyF

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:22 pm

simonboy1 wrote:
nothing classy , i, have a Washburn D25 Great sound ,good action and a good looking guitar
I had an Augusta Series Washburn acoustic at one time. I was surprisingly good for $700.00.

agentcooper

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 pm

I have a late 70's/early 80's Guild D-25. We have a very healthy relationship. That all mahogany body makes it definitely sound like a Les Paul taken the form of an acoustic guitar. I can get so much personality and tone from it, and I tune to D standard for singing purposes and so I can also do fantastic bends, as well as get a gigantic, warm, and defined tone out enormous piece of wood. I'm in love.

-Dale

cabro

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:17 am

I currently have three acoustics. An Olympia OP-2 parlor guitar, An Olympia 4 string acoustic bass, and a Martin DX1 I bought last summer. The Olys are the Asian versions of Tacoma and are pretty impressive for cheap guitars. The OP-2 is a lot of sound in a little guitar. Surprisingly loud and brassy. Excellent intonation all the way up the neck. Very playable. The bass held its own with several much more expensive models including the Tacoma Thunder Chief, a Martin bass and one or two others. My Mexican Martin though, is never far from my reach. I love the sound. Whether I'm playing with my fingers or bashing it with a pick, it just rings.

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:09 pm

agentcooper wrote:
I have a late 70's/early 80's Guild D-25. We have a very healthy relationship. That all mahogany body makes it definitely sound like a Les Paul taken the form of an acoustic guitar. I can get so much personality and tone from it, and I tune to D standard for singing purposes and so I can also do fantastic bends, as well as get a gigantic, warm, and defined tone out enormous piece of wood. I'm in love.

So Dale, would you ship your baby on United Airlines?? Not me bro, life is too short!! :lol:

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 pm

cabro wrote:
I currently have three acoustics. An Olympia OP-2 parlor guitar, An Olympia 4 string acoustic bass, and a Martin DX1 I bought last summer. The Olys are the Asian versions of Tacoma and are pretty impressive for cheap guitars. The OP-2 is a lot of sound in a little guitar. Surprisingly loud and brassy. Excellent intonation all the way up the neck. Very playable. The bass held its own with several much more expensive models including the Tacoma Thunder Chief, a Martin bass and one or two others. My Mexican Martin though, is never far from my reach. I love the sound. Whether I'm playing with my fingers or bashing it with a pick, it just rings.
Chris- you'd better hold on to those Tacomas, I think they are out of business! Too bad because they were a very nice guitar for the money.

cabro

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:44 pm

BigBear wrote:

Chris- you'd better hold on to those Tacomas, I think they are out of business! Too bad because they were a very nice guitar for the money.
No kidding? I know two things about these guitars other than what I've already said.
1.)Tacoma's customer service sucked. They wouldn't even talk to you unless you were a dealer. I had to go through a Tacoma dealer to get a case for the bass and that took six months.
2.)I was told they were bought out by Fender a while back. (Maybe I only know one thing.)

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 pm

cabro wrote:
BigBear wrote:

No kidding? I know two things about these guitars other than what I've already said.
1.)Tacoma's customer service sucked. They wouldn't even talk to you unless you were a dealer. I had to go through a Tacoma dealer to get a case for the bass and that took six months.
2.)I was told they were bought out by Fender a while back. (Maybe I only know one thing.)
Chris- I don't know about their customer service but the second part is true and I believe that Fender shut down the brand in the US if not the world. The second part may be related to the first! They made a hell of a bunch of guitars so it's doubtful they will become heirlooms but you won't see any new ones either!

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Makes me wonder why a company would buy another company just to shut it down. It's not like Tacoma was in close competition with Fender.

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 pm

gingold wrote:
Makes me wonder why a company would buy another company just to shut it down. It's not like Tacoma was in close competition with Fender.
I don't know this for a fact but Tacoma had some innovative ideas on bracing and it could be that Fender, whose acostics have been pretty forgettable, wanted the technology. They also bought Kaman Musical Group (Ovation and Takamine). Maybe they just wanted market share. They also own Guild, Jackson, Charvel and Hamer guitars.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic