Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Welcome to the TG Forum Strummer85.

Did your Dad teach you any of those Classical songs? Neil
has hinted that he might add "Romanza" soon to the TARGET
program.

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Strummer85 wrote:
My Dad. I grew up listening to him play classical guitar. He taught me open chords and we used to play a few songs together. Now I play steel string and really enjoy Neil's lessons.
Strummer- welcome to the program! Glad to have you! Hope you enjoy your experience here as much as we do!!

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Strummer, welcome to the site and the forum. There is a lot here to take advantage of and ample opportunities to participate in the lively, if not always on topic:silly: post.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 pm

pak452 wrote:
The person who originally inspired me to play was John Denver. Loved the picking style.
Then I discovered Neil Young. I put my guitar away for about 15 years, and recently found Neil Hogan on youtube. So I would have to say This second go round was Neil Hogan.
Have you seen Pete Huttlinger's stuff on playing John Denver? Simply outstanding! Pete was Denver's back-up for years and his DVD series is the most comprehensive on JD that I've seen.

eagle670

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:47 am

Yep! Pete is a world champion finger picker. I found him when I was looking for some instructional dvd's.

I was inspired to play again while I was puting in a ceiling last summer and listening to the radio. Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "From the Beginning" came on the radio and I thought man that acoustic guitar sounds awesome. I had heard that song probably dozens of times before, but on that particular day it lite a fire inside of me and the rest is history. I searched the internet for ever to try and learn how to play the tune and that is what eventually led me to this site.

haoli25

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am

Neil has a pretty cool lesson on "From The Beginning". I thought
I knew how to play it...I WAS WRONG. lol I spent several weeks
going through that lesson. It's not perfect even now, but I still
enjoying playing it.
I went from that song to Steve Howe's "Roundabout". It came out
a year earlier and I had read that was Greg Lake's inspiration
for "From The Beginning" and gave him a chance to have a little
fun with his friend Steve Howe.

How are you doing with "From The Beginning",EAGLE?

eagle670

Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm

That's my favorite song in my play list. Probably because I spent so much time trying to learn to play it the right way. I watched several youtube videos and found a couple of lessons on line. It wasn't until I found Neils lesson that I actually started playing it the right way. The cross picking at the beginning of the tune still gives me fits sometimes and I practice it about every day. Depending on the day, I can sometimes play it flawlessly and other days are not so good.

BigBear

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:25 pm

eagle670 wrote:
That's my favorite song in my play list. Probably because I spent so much time trying to learn to play it the right way. I watched several youtube videos and found a couple of lessons on line. It wasn't until I found Neils lesson that I actually started playing it the right way. The cross picking at the beginning of the tune still gives me fits sometimes and I practice it about every day. Depending on the day, I can sometimes play it flawlessly and other days are not so good.
I just started working on that song too. It's got some quirks but that's what makes it so great. So far, page 1 of the tab is much easier for me than page 2!! LOL!

It takes extra long to train this old dog to do new tricks!! :lol:

Music Junkie

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 pm

BigBear wrote:

Just makes finally getting it that much better though, doesn't it?:P

BigBear

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Just makes finally getting it that much better though, doesn't it?:P
That's a great point!! I need to keep that in mind when these stiff old fingers don't work like they used to!! :lol:

Good things take time, right?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic