Marillion(with Fish)
Floyd
Coldplay
The Smiths
Dire Straits
Snow Patrol
U2
Queen

I suppose you could call it a very British list, but as it's a rating on quality that's almost inevitable (!). To be fair I have only listed 9, and had I gone to 10 then the choice would have been between:

Bread
Bryan Adams
Eagles
ELO
Fleetwood Mac
Killers
Meat Loaf
Nirvana
Oasis
Pulp
Simon & Garfunkel
Supertramp

So a North American act might well creep in at the edges.

BigBear

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:39 pm

spraynard wrote:
hmmm... It's true people have different tastes and what not, but you're just labeling any music you haven't heard of as "alt/indie," which is just wrong.

Maybe instead of just automatically assuming it's something that you wouldn't be interested in because you haven't heard it on the radio, maybe you should ask me about a band you haven't heard of or go on youtube and check out some of the songs because I guarantee everyone of those few bands I named is AMAZING.

Spraynard- rather than becoming defensive about a whole bunch of bands few of us have ever heard of, maybe we could all agree that AMAZING music is truly in the ear of the listener? The question was about favorite band not the top 400!

Of all those you listed, which are the top 3 or 4 in your opinion? I'll go check those out and see what I think! I'm always interested in new music, as most of us are.

Thanks! :cheer:

spraynard

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

BigBear wrote:
spraynard wrote:
hmmm... It's true people have different tastes and what not, but you're just labeling any music you haven't heard of as "alt/indie," which is just wrong.

Maybe instead of just automatically assuming it's something that you wouldn't be interested in because you haven't heard it on the radio, maybe you should ask me about a band you haven't heard of or go on youtube and check out some of the songs because I guarantee everyone of those few bands I named is AMAZING.

Spraynard- rather than becoming defensive about a whole bunch of bands few of us have ever heard of, maybe we could all agree that AMAZING music is truly in the ear of the listener? The question was about favorite band not the top 400!

Of all those you listed, which are the top 3 or 4 in your opinion? I'll go check those out and see what I think! I'm always interested in new music, as most of us are.

Thanks! :cheer:

Absolutely I'm saying amazing music is all about the ear of the listener... so LISTEN to the music; don't be close minded about it

AndyT

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 pm

I think perhaps you have read more into what we said than was meant. None of us are 'judging' the music based on its being played on the radio. We all want to learn more and new music. It has nothing to do with how its classified either. Alt/Indie is a very generic label to discuss an entire genre of music irrespective of when it was produced. Just like labeling something 'pop' or 'rock'. Very generic terms.

Our goal is not to toss your suggestions. Quite the opposite. We welcome them and listen eagerly to your selections hopefully finding something new to love. Keep posting them, but don't expect us to love it just because you do.

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:26 am

I listed a few a ways back, but I thought I would toss in a couple of country bands as well just to get everyone all riled up some more....

How about:
Alabama
Don Williams
George Strait

I really enjoyed them back in the 70's and 80's

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 am

Another song from one of my favorite guitarists:

31-91 by Neal Schon when he was with the band Hardline

http://tinyurl.com/lso7dg

Hopefully it works....

AndyT

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Alabama has some good tunes. I like a lot of country stuff, but not all.

AndyT

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:16 pm

The Hardline link worked. Nice tune.

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:00 pm

AndyT wrote:
The Hardline link worked. Nice tune.
Glad you liked it. Most people I talk to don't really know who Neal Schon is, but he is quite talented. He is most popular for being the guitarist for Journey, but at the age of fourteen or so, he was invited to play with both Santana and Eric Clapton in the same week!!!!!! Not too bad for a young kid. He actually played with Santana for one album or at least a few songs before getting the offer to form the new band with some unknown singer from Hanford, CA - Steve Perry. Strange how things work out.....

Cheers!

I have found a few TAB's for the 31-91 tune on several sites.

BigBear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Most people I talk to don't really know who Neal Schon is, but he is quite talented. He is most popular for being the guitarist for Journey, but at the age of fourteen or so, he was invited to play with both Santana and Eric Clapton in the same week!!!!!!
MJ- Now I know where I'd heard that name before! He's the guy that does that cool intro to Wheel in the Sky! Love that song! I really liked that tune you posted, thanks for sharing! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic