My Guitar

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Catman wrote:
My mother had this strange idea that playing guitar causes mental deficiency in both player and audience, and refused to support my guitar playing. Violin, clarinet, and piano were acceptable.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure she was wrong :S

David
And all this time I thought it was the drugs.

Ric

jfletchey

Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 pm

I have 3 acoustics
1. 1972 Alvarez Yiari 5060 - bought this one new in 1972 rosewood back and sides, spruce top abalone trim is identical to a Martin D-41 . Three years ago the neck was reset and refretted at the Alvarez(St Louis Music Co) repair facility free of charge because they have a lifetime warranty and I am the original owner. This guitar looks and sounds terrific.

2. 2004 Martin DCX1E - bought this one in 2004 because I was playing some songs that required notes above the 14th fret. This guitar has High Pressure Laminate (HPL) back and sides and a synthetic neck with a solid spruce top. This is an excellent guitar for the price and sounds very much like the all wood Martins. Many current artists prefer this guitar for their outdoor engagements because it does not go out of tune due to the weather.

3. 2009 Seagull Original S6 with Q1 electronics. This guitar is imho a great fingerstyle guitar available at a reasonable price. Two features make it stand out.
a. The neck is 1.80 inches wide (versus 1.62 for the Martin). This extra space
between strings is very helpful.
b. The top is cedar which gives a much more mellow tone for the fingerstyle
songs I prefer.

Greetings from Indiana
Jim

TF28

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I have an acoustic and electric.

The acoustic is older than me and has no brand name, just a name.

The electric is an Ibanez Gio in black w/ whammy bar and 22 frets.

P.S. Is there any other Ibanez Gios that are guitars, not basses?

caymandiver55

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Hello, Great thread. I have a 1991 Gibson J-200 with Koa back and sides that I bought in the early days of Ebay. A Taylor 814C bought new in 97 and a Black Ovation Custom Legend that I have had for over 20 years. I recently had all the muck cleaned off the fingerboard and it looks wonderful again. I have a few electrics, but that is not this forum is about..now is it.

JJ

heatndude

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 am

Hey I just found this topic, need to add my 2 cents worth. I have been beating on a Yamaha FG730s for a while. A decent beginner instrument that you can travel with and not worry so much about. My go to is my Taylor GA which I just got back after Taylor installed the new Expression pick up System, wow is that nice ! Recommend that to any Taylor owners out there if its in the budget. A few weeks ago I was working in a older fellows home, he says I have this old guitar I bought for my kid but he never really played it. He opens the old dusty case and there sits a 1960 Les Paul Standard, perfect condition. After I completed my work for him he asked if he could pay with this guitar, I took him up on it DA ! Had a local Luthier clean it up and go thru it, plays like a dream and has great vintage tone. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance. Are there any guitar gurus that know what this thing may be worth ?

AndyT

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 am

I don't know what its worth, but man is that ever a blessing from God.

cabro

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:24 am

heatndude wrote:
Are there any guitar gurus that know what this thing may be worth ?
From what little poking around I could manage I saw a couple '60 Standards ranging in price from around $6,000.00 to one I saw that the seller was asking $275,000.00. Nice score!

goldleaf

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Amazing, what a score. You must be living right. I have managed to pick up 2 Guild guitars, they were made in Tacoma WA, the Contemporary Series. The story is that Guild moved from Carona CA in 2006 to Tacoma WA and had a limited run of these solid wood guitars with a Lock and Load, knurled 1 1/4" device you turn 1/4 turn, pull out and put in batteries where the bottom strap button is part of the device. The 2 adjustment knobs are in the sound hole so no cut in the side of the guitar. I have 2, both single cutaway one rounded and the other florintine pointed. I forgot, Willy Porter worked with Guild to design these guitars and has his own flourintine pointed cutaway called the Willy Porter Signature model. MSRP on the Contemporary is $2,599. Signature is $3,499. Fender bought Guild out in 2007 and Guild moved to Hartford Conn in 2008 and just makes their Traditional Series there, every thing else is made in Japan. Fender is gobbling up any new competition it seems. Sorry for the long story but I'm just finding out this stuff myself. Gary

heatndude

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 pm

I have been playing it all day, finally my fingers could not take it anymore. You are right my insurance agent gave it a $ 175,000.00 replacement value yesterday. So it is covered. I Owe this old fellow big time. No plans to sell just keep it in good shape and hand it diwn to my nephew who is just starting to play at age 11.

haoli25

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:58 pm

heatndude wrote:
I have been playing it all day, finally my fingers could not take it anymore. You are right my insurance agent gave it a $ 175,000.00 replacement value yesterday. So it is covered. I Owe this old fellow big time. No plans to sell just keep it in good shape and hand it diwn to my nephew who is just starting to play at age 11.

That is amazing!!!!!! How lucky can someone be?!?!?! You may want to get an independent appraisal from one of the large auction houses.

I'm only a little bit jealous. Well....okay, okay, I'm a LOT jealous! :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic